Instant notification on alarm + machine learning object detection

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
iconnor

Re: Instant notification on alarm + machine learning object detection

Post by iconnor » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Hey do you want to take this development to gtihub? I can add you as ZoneMinder Members...

montagdude

Post by montagdude » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Sure, I'd be honored! What did you have in mind, though, integrating it into ZoneMinder itself in some way, or as a separate script the way it is now?

alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm

montagdude wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:42 pm
Sure, I'd be honored! What did you have in mind, though, integrating it into ZoneMinder itself in some way, or as a separate script the way it is now?
I would like for it to be a maintained part of Zoneminder which could be enabled or disabled as desired. In many installs, I believe that the Zoneminder motion detection works well enough on its own, but in other situations (such as outside) it works not so well and this add-on would dramatically improve it.

montagdude

Post by montagdude » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm

alabamatoy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm
I would like for it to be a maintained part of Zoneminder which could be enabled or disabled as desired. In many installs, I believe that the Zoneminder motion detection works well enough on its own, but in other situations (such as outside) it works not so well and this add-on would dramatically improve it.
The main benefit of this tool, for me anyway, is still the instant notification part. For my usage, I have disabled object detection because it is still not reliable enough. However, all of my cameras are indoors, and I have to use low res images for the detection because my server is pretty underpowered for object detection. It would probably still work well for an outdoor camera in daylight and a fast server (especially if you can do the object detection on a GPU), so I will continue to test and maintain that functionality.

Anyway, I'm not sure I am the right person to do the heavy lifting of implementing object detection and/or instant notifications in the main ZoneMinder codebase. It would take a lot of learning and testing for me, and I just don't have the time for that right now. But I am more than happy to contribute where possible.