Bounty Offer (Audio)

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
Lee Sharp

Bounty Offer (Audio)

Post by Lee Sharp »

(Edit: Bounty withdrawn. See page 2)

We need a feature, and I have no time to develop it right... But I have some money here...

What we need is audio. Only one channel from the built in sound card, synchronized with one (selectable) camera. It will need to be saved with the event, export if the event is exported, and stream if the camera is viewed. (Minor syncing issues on streaming are acceptable) It will need to work on the current version, and on the debs installed in an Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon system. (Later Intrepid, but right now we are still testing it) It does not need to be a part of Peters debs, but that would be nice. :) But it needs to ba easily installed on that system. It would also be nice to be included in ZM, but is not required for payment. But Phil does have the right to set some standards.

At this point I have USD $250 for this, with $50 going to the ZoneMinder project, and $200 to the developer on a successful test in my lab.

I know others have been interested in this over time, so if you want to chip in, post your pledge below.

If you are interested in coding this, but think the amount is out of line, also post below...

If this works, there may be more features I will sponsor, so lets give this a shot. :)
Last edited by Lee Sharp on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
curtishall

Re: Bounty Offer (Audio)

Post by curtishall »

We'll throw in some cash for this also. Anyone willing to get audio working especially with the PV-153 / PV-183 / PV-981 series. $50 to Zoneminder and $150 to the developer. Changes have to be made into 1.24 and 1.23

Lee Sharp wrote:We need a feature, and I have no time to develop it right... But I have some money here...

What we need is audio. Only one channel from the built in sound card, synchronized with one (selectable) camera. It will need to be saved with the event, export if the event is exported, and stream if the camera is viewed. (Minor syncing issues on streaming are acceptable) It will need to work on the current version, and on the debs installed in an Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon system. (Later Intrepid, but right now we are still testing it) It does not need to be a part of Peters debs, but that would be nice. :) But it needs to ba easily installed on that system. It would also be nice to be included in ZM, but is not required for payment. But Phil does have the right to set some standards.

At this point I have USD $200 for this, with $50 going to the ZoneMinder project, and $150 to the developer on a successful test in my lab.

I know others have been interested in this over time, so if you want to chip in, post your pledge below.

If you are interested in coding this, but think the amount is out of line, also post below...

If this works, there may be more features I will sponsor, so lets give this a shot. :)
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i personally feel that further deveoping 1.23 isnt a great idea. I see where your coming from and maybe the mods could be aplied backwardly. but with tthe enhanced mpeg etc in 1.24 adding audio support should beeasier for network cams. This wouldnt work on 1.23.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

jameswilson wrote:i personally feel that further deveoping 1.23 isnt a great idea. I see where your coming from and maybe the mods could be aplied backwardly. but with tthe enhanced mpeg etc in 1.24 adding audio support should beeasier for network cams. This wouldnt work on 1.23.
It makes sense, and I agree... But I need a solution for production. :) I also don't need it from a network cam, but from on-board audio. (Or a card like Curtis mentioned) That is not changing version to version, so the offer still stands. And I think it is very cool that the offer doubled in less than a day! $300 buys a lot of Jolt Cola!
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

If in doubt, add more money! Bumping it $50. I may do a bit of cross posting as well. :D See the original post for the new amounts.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Hope you don't mind Lee but I moved your cross post into the wanted/selling/....
I think most everyone takes a peek in there and it's not going to be buried any time to soon ;)

Also, I'll be talking to Phil soon to see if I can pay him for a special video program, I think that he might be able to do it with basically a slimmed down Version of ZM, The only difference is I need the MJPEGs in a container so it might give him a chance to get a good idea/feel of how to bring audio from this in ZM in a more appropriate manor as he can take the plunge some where else, then decide what he likes and what might work the best. What I want is certainly easier as it's not a security app per say and I don't care ATM if the container gets corrupted. I may well add to this bounty as well soon as I got the cash to spare.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Sounds good! Any help is a good thing, and if you want to use my pile of money to help your project, that is fine. Anything to get the functionality!
nuck

Post by nuck »

Lee - Did you come up with a workable solution to this yet?
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Nope. Still got a pile of money burning a hole in my pocket. You want some? ;)
cordel

Post by cordel »

And I still haven't talked to Phil about it either, I know he has been busy so didn't want to bug him. When things lighten up, I'll see what might be done.
Kushnirenko

Post by Kushnirenko »

Not to put pressure on anyone, but we are also very interested in audio. I'll try to find out how we can help.
cordel wrote: Also, I'll be talking to Phil soon to see if I can pay him for a special video program, I think that he might be able to do it with basically a slimmed down Version of ZM, The only difference is I need the MJPEGs in a container so it might give him a chance to get a good idea/feel of how to bring audio from this in ZM
I'm not sure if the video+audio container is the way to go. For example we have cameras and microphones in quite different locations and I would consider them as different sources of information. Also I would argue that zm could possibly handle video/audio/alarm signals in a similar fasion.

Why could not we have little .ogg (or speex) file with attributes similar to video event:
Type "Continuous" -- Start Time -- End Time -- Duration and so on?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Kushnirenko wrote: I'm not sure if the video+audio container is the way to go. For example we have cameras and microphones in quite different locations and I would consider them as different sources of information. Also I would argue that zm could possibly handle video/audio/alarm signals in a similar fasion.

Why could not we have little .ogg (or speex) file with attributes similar to video event:
Type "Continuous" -- Start Time -- End Time -- Duration and so on?
That's why I'll have to pay Phil on the side and way I was basically saying an opportunity to get our feet wet. I don't think containers are the way to go either as we would lose to much functionality for the web interface which allot of us take for granted that would not work out of a container.

Audio would also need to be buffered just as the video is for ZM so that's one of the challenges. ogg maybe, speex likely not as simple to combine into a container later for export. Would certainly need to comply with GPL and be supported by base distros with out allot of fuss, then also simple for ffmpeg to do the weight lifting to create acc or mp3/4 without having to add a bunch of extra libraries. I have not used speex so I have no idea what that would involve but it should be light wieght or processor coming into the buffer and light as possible for a format on the hard drive.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

On a partially related note. I have tried accessing /dev/audio* and /dev/dsp* while mjpeg-streamer was using the device, and while I could open the audio device with various apps, I got nothing but zero's (silence) from them. In my case I tested with Logitech Quickcam 9000's.

So it seems the audio device of the webcam is not usable while its open for video capture, and I don't know why. If it worked as it should, you could just use "listener" or some other 3rd-party prog to capture the audio similar to MoDetect (listener only records when it hears something).
geomarcomputers

Post by geomarcomputers »

I would like to offer some additional cash for audio in zoneminder: $50 to the developer. If this feature is working before end of April I will make it a total of $150 for the developer. Anyone wants to do it ? Is there any chance that it happens soon? thank you.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

Here is a thought and something I'm actually working on. The custom routers I'm working on with usb camera support can also support usb audio. While I haven't actually got the audio from the camera working I have got audio from a seperate usb audio device plugged in. So I could easily pickup audio, just don't know how it would work with zonemidner.