Can i run it in old hardware ??

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Taz

Can i run it in old hardware ??

Post by Taz »

Hi guys,

Is it possible to run live-cd or at least install as text mode in a k6-2 300mhz with 196mb Ram ?? :)

i tryed to run it but it doesn't go after the boot screen. When it tries to load ramdisk it just reboots it self.

How can i do ??

I want to use this hw to run 1 camera with a pico 2000 clone card (bttv 77 i think) and it should be fine if i get up to 7 fpms.

Taz
Ellmegamurks

Post by Ellmegamurks »

Hello, Taz

I run ZM with two cameras at 384x288x2fps with an old PII/350 with 256MB Ram just for streaming to my real ZM-server;

it works great, but just for streaming; when image analysis comes in, the load goes up to 4 and further, which ist "not recommended" :-)

I also got several errors when first booting from the live-cd, the only solution was the commandline parameter "safeboot" as described in the boot options on the live-CD itself.
And my first try was with 196mb of RAM which went terribly slow! 256MB is the minimum!

i hope i gave some hints,
Erich
jamescollings

Re: Can i run it in old hardware ??

Post by jamescollings »

Taz wrote:Hi guys,

Is it possible to run live-cd or at least install as text mode in a k6-2 300mhz with 196mb Ram ?? :)
Taz
You processor is fine. You RAM looks a bit light. Since memory is cheap, I'd suggest bumping it up a bit.

My rig was "PII 233Mhz, 256Mb Ram, 80GB Hard disk. Ancient WinTV card from Hauppauge." when I started.
The only change has been to get an uptodate 4channel card. I really should upgrade the memory.. but since I have turned off the Xserver it manages 2 cameras with multiple zones quite happily.
Taz

Post by Taz »

probabbly it's chipset problem .. it's a sis 97 based mobo, and it sucks :P
I just got that from a client.. he said to remove it from there.. so i grab'd :)

I also tried to put more memory on that like you all said, but I still can't boot livecd :/

I'm about to leave this machine alone, if anyone has another suggestion, please go ahead ;)

Taz