ZM on OpenWRT?

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
gringo.guy

ZM on OpenWRT?

Post by gringo.guy »

Greetings,
Brand new to ZoneMinder, in fact never used it, but have used *nix for years. Now that routers are to the point where they can take the place of a "home server" PC, I'd like to push the envelope some.

I've been searching and reading a lot, and find posts that hint ZM runs under OpenWRT, but don't seem to find anyone who claims to have actually done it. While waiting for a Buffalo G300NH router to arrive, I've been experimenting with the OpenWRT BE and have successfully cross compiled FreeSwitch 1.0.6 among other things.

Has anyone actually packaged ZM for OpenWRT? If not, can anyone confirm whether this is will be straight-forward to do, or at least reasonable? I would very much like to do some b'spoke with ZM and FreeSwitch.

Other posts indicate that ZM is not set up for client/server (yet). I'd like to have the collecting and motion detecting done on the router, and web viewing done from other PCs, both Linux and Windows, both local and remote (using Firefox, of course). I will have a 1-TB USB disk attached to the router, but would rather not run a Web server on the router unless necessary.

I read that 1.24 is the last 1.x release and that the first 2.x is around the corner. Is anything available yet that I could play with, or should I start with 1.24 (I just ass*u*me that this will work at all, but really hope that it will).

Re dependencies: The ffmpeg, libjpeg, mjpg-streamer, and mysql-server libraries are already packaged for OpenWRT. I will be using some of the attached hard disk for OpenWRT swap, and local file system, so RAM and file space shouldn't be an issue.

Any hints and pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
newvisionantenna

Re: ZM on OpenWRT?

Post by newvisionantenna »

Your probably seeing those hits cause several years ago I was running UVC usb cameras on OpenWRT and interfacing them with Zoneminder, not actually running Zoneminder on openwrt. Even if it could run, which I highly doubt, it would probably be horribly slow and require a ton of read/write on the flash based device.

The closest I got to something like this was using a ar71xx Routerstation board and the Debian software from debwrt - I then ran a full mispel/mips (can't remember) install from a USB stick on a device that normally was meant to run OpenWRT.

Hope that helps clear things up.
gringo.guy

Post by gringo.guy »

newvisionantenna wrote:Your probably seeing those hits cause several years ago I was . . . Hope that helps clear things up.
Well, not exactly. A lot has changed in the mean time. I read that the router I'm using, at 400 MHz, is roughly equivalent to a Pentium II and, as I mentioned, I'll be using a standard hard disk instead of flash memory for the file system.
TucsonDirect

Post by TucsonDirect »

gringo.guy wrote:
newvisionantenna wrote:Your probably seeing those hits cause several years ago I was . . . Hope that helps clear things up.
Well, not exactly. A lot has changed in the mean time. I read that the router I'm using, at 400 MHz, is roughly equivalent to a Pentium II and, as I mentioned, I'll be using a standard hard disk instead of flash memory for the file system.
wayy too much read/write activity for this to be worth your time, a mini laptop would be a better option :) same form factor and you get a GUI :)