ZMLarch DVR keeps going down

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
troyy0206

ZMLarch DVR keeps going down

Post by troyy0206 »

The first two DVR's I installed have been running since day-one with no issues. The others have been constantly going down on me and I've tried on like 3-4 different servers that are all the same hardware. Somewhere in the middle of setting this all up, they upgraded the telnetd package and instead of using the name of the package I have to type the full URL to it to install it. The hardware is a Dual 3.2GHz XEON Rackable Systems server. I have been installing the xinetd package out of the i686 folder on the source site, but there is also an X86_64 folder. It just occurred to me that I may be installing the wrong one. Could this be causing my systems to go down? The systems seem to run for anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks then once they go down, I have to reinstall.

Any advice would be appreciated. Really reaching for answers at this point...
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

First think am gona say try to avoid telnet use ssh most switches and stuff even use it now.

second no that package dose not affect zm.

Check you syslog and kernel linux system going down is most likely the cause of hardware or driver failure.

In the bios for the server check the power rails they should be with 5% of there voltages.

Also if none of this helps try using ubuntu and install zoneminder that way.(newer kernel)
troyy0206

Post by troyy0206 »

kingofkya wrote:First think am gona say try to avoid telnet use ssh most switches and stuff even use it now.

second no that package dose not affect zm.

Check you syslog and kernel linux system going down is most likely the cause of hardware or driver failure.

In the bios for the server check the power rails they should be with 5% of there voltages.

Also if none of this helps try using ubuntu and install zoneminder that way.(newer kernel)
On a small, isolated and segmented network, using telnet will do no harm. ZM wasn't what was going down, it's the whole OS. I think I figured it out. There were settings in the BIOS for large drive support and OS Type that had to both be set to "Other" for UNIX operating systems. The failure I had the other day turned out to be a bad hard drive, I had just assumed (like an idiot) that it was the same problem I had before. The good news is that since I changed those settings in the BIOS a few weeks ago, four of the five DVRs have been online and working fine except for the one with the drive failure.