ZMLArch pacman -S file fails, files not found, Need guidance

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
kp4djt

ZMLArch pacman -S file fails, files not found, Need guidance

Post by kp4djt »

I have used this one from day one, but now it looks like the usual files I am looking for have been replaced. I am trying to figure out what I have to do in order to update the db, or if I am going to have to upgrade the whole install??

My system works just fine, so I do not really want to upgrade the whole thing, but as a example, I went to download dnsmasq, the version I have been pulling down has been replaced with a newer one, so all of the repositories report "file not found" I am trying to figure if I can upgrade the db to the newer files or am I going to have to upgrade the whole system?

The last one I did today was to try to put webmin on my main test system, when I did a pacman -S webmin, it told me the file sizes and number of files needed, asking me if I wanted to proceed. I did so and got a list of repositories reporting the file was not found or available. Now I am just trying to figure out what I need to tell pacman so I can pull down the newer version using pacman along with other files I pull down.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

pacman -Sy will update the pacman db.
As you have probably already discovered upgrading the whole system is not a good idea since it will break zoneminder. But you will probably be OK just adding a few packages. Look cosely at what pacman wants to pull in as dependancies. If there is something that looks like it may effect zm you can back up that package with 'bacman <packagename> so that if something breaks you can roll back that package version.
You can also do this from the livecd to recreate a package of the correct version to repair a broken system.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

All I wanted to do was add webmin to my test system. I use a jump drive with the iso loaded on it using unetbootin, works great, I just add the things I want and then save them when I shut the jump drive down, now if my system abends I just plug the jump drive in tell it to put it on the HD reboot and I am back where I was, I just need to remember to keep the zone changes in sync.

Thank you for the pointer, I was not sure and YES I know a full upgrade will fubar the system, that is for sure. That is why I was treading on eggs there. I will do the pacman update and see what happens.

Thank you for the fast come back.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of that wall paper on the gui screen, I have tried but it like fleas just keeps coming back.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
troyy0206

Post by troyy0206 »

Thanks for this, I had been struggling as well. I like to have telnetd inetutils installed and hadn't been able to do it with pacman -S inetutils. I have been having to do a pacman -U http://arm.kh.nu/2010/02/22...... and enter the whole path to the package I had found on the servers that had been updated.

Again, thanks!