ZoneMinder (live) Not Found, Arch Linux Found

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Joel Mayer

ZoneMinder (live) Not Found, Arch Linux Found

Post by Joel Mayer »

My lap top is a HP Compaq 6730s running Windows Xp Pro on a 250 GB hard drive. With the software tools I bought from Acronis I carved a 100 GB partition on the drive and installed Suse Linux 11.1. While in Suse, I put the latest version of the ZoneMinder live CD on my CD / DVD drive and made my way through a restart.

When it was all over my pointer froze up and I saw two icons in the upper left hand corner of my screen. The first said 'My Documents' and the second 'Arch Linux'. Where is ZoneMinder?
Joel Mayer
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Toolbar at the bottom. (Hidden until you move the mouse cursor to the bottom)
Joel Mayer

Lost My Entire Suse 11.1 Installation!

Post by Joel Mayer »

Dear Mister Melin- The situation is much worse than it first appeared. This AM, while I was able to run through the power on self test in the 8 kernels on my lap top (openSuse 11.1 2.6.27.23-0.1 (pae)) I never achieved a boot into Suse. I never got to the point where the little gear wheel turns round and round. All I saw was a few lightning like flashes and then a dead screen.

Error messages include: "Failed service in runlevel 5 : kbd", and, "Perhaps ip table or your kernel need to be upgraded". What do I do?

I suspect the hardware in my lap top is too new for the Arch Linux on your latest live CD. For a listing of my hardware parts go to:
http://eztechcomputers.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=6302
Thanks for your help, Joel Mayer :cry:
Joel Mayer
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I'm sorry to hear things are not going smoothly. I hope you are describing simply a failure to boot the linux system, and not a problem with the hardware itself.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are experiencing. Since your mention both a Suse linux installation on you HDD and also the liveCD, I'm wondering if neither are booting for you. The error message you describe about a failed service is almost certainly from Suse since the Arch based system boots in runlevel 3 (I know this may be confusing since it does boot (hopefully) to a grahpic env) and doesn't use the term "service".

Are you clear on the point that the liveCD is a complete system in it's own right, and doesn't require a linux installation to work? The liveCD just boots directly from the CD drive and doesn't access the HDD at all except by user interaction. Please don't be offended, but I don't know what the level of your linux experience is.

It may be that some of the hardware on your machine is not supported, but the latest ZMLarch is very up to date as linux systems go, and I think HP Compaq is pretty well supported.
Joel Mayer

Post by Joel Mayer »

Dear Mister Melin-

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. The boot issues I mentioned occur as I try to get on board with Suse Linux with the Zoneminder Live CD resting on my dining room table. Most emphatically, the Zoneminder disc is not in my CD / DVD drive. Although, now that you mention it, maybe I should try to reboot with the CD in my drive just to see what happens.

I doubt this is a fatal error or hardware related as I am not having any problems with my Acronis Bootloader or my Windows XP Pro installation. In fact, just now I am running my anti-virus software in Windows.
Joel Mayer
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I doubt this is a fatal error or hardware related as I am not having any problems with my Acronis Bootloader or my Windows XP Pro installation.
Very happy to hear :)
maybe I should try to reboot with the CD in my drive just to see what happens.
Please let us know how this goes. Note that some systems need a setting in the bios setup menu to be able to boot from a CD.
Joel Mayer

Might Have Found The Problem!

Post by Joel Mayer »

Dear Mister Melin- Thanks for making the point that your CD runs along side my Linux OS and cannot really make any changes in my kernel configuration. Following your remark I booted while typing init 3 at the boot screen. At the end of the process I found the following error messages:
(1) Starting vmware-guestd FATAL: Module vmblock not found.
(2) mount: mount point /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint does not exist
(3) FATAL: Module vmmemctl not found
(4) FATAL: Module vmsync not found.
I did this to myself by being overzealous and installing what I thought were dependencies useful to ZoneMinder. I thought I made myself immune from dependency conflicts by running- "zypper up" at a terminal after each round of installing everything in sight. I was wrong. How do I get out of this mess?
Joel Mayer
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Work happens :)
How do I get out of this mess?
To offer anything helpful, I need to know what you are wanting to accomplish. Do you want to run zoneminder on Suse? If so I might suggest reinstalling Suse fresh. Then I believe there is a zoneminder Suse RPM. This may be the way for you to go, but others may be in a better position to offer help with zm on Suse, as I have no experience with it.

If you just want a working zoneminder system, and are not especially attached to Suse, then you could use the latest ZMLarch CD to install an Archlinux system, replacing the Suse installation. If this is what you would like to do, I can offer assistance here.

Let us know how it goes.
Joel Mayer

Plans For The Future

Post by Joel Mayer »

Dear Mister Melin- Ended up I had to re-install Suse 11.1, a task I just finished up with yesterday. Just now I have the KDE desktop, working speakers, and I have 'Cheese', a web camera application up and running.

It appears I can 'one click install' Zoneminder out of a repository. But the problem is that I would like to use the mjpeg streaming option. And have yet to find a one click install button next to a ZoneMinder version including the letters 'MP' in the package number.

Should I keep on looking? Or should I install with one click and then try the upgrade route to add mjpeg streaming?

Note: The reason my first thoughts went to a hardware conflict has to do with the fact that Suse 11.1 does not have the drivers for my soundcard. Certain of the hardware elements on my lap top are very new. So when my lap top crashed I thought at first it was the ZoneMinder CD. Now, with your guidance, I understand I brought the roof down on my own head by installing too much software with dependency issues. The CD was an innocent bystander to my excessive zeal.
Joel Mayer
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Well with a little help from google I quickly found this repository with ZoneMinder-MP-1.24.2-3.1.i586.rpm
http://liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.1/i586/

So it looks like you should be able to get up and running without too much trouble.

I'm not familiar enough with Suse to know the process of setting up this repository in the software manager but I find no shortage of helpful info using google.

There is a wiki article which will probably be helpful, though a little dated, here, in case you haven't already found it
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... s_for_SuSE
cordel

Post by cordel »

Monex a user here on the forum packages ZM for Suse. He posts his links in the [url=chttp://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9]ontributions section[/url] of the forum. I believe you will find his links there to include MP.

This section here ( Distributions ) is for the folks whom create the LiveCD's that are a all in one disk solution, or other similar all in one CD/DVD.

All versions of ZoneMinder does support mjpeg and jpeg capture natively as well as streaming.