Losing connection to ZM console

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Maxxarcade

Losing connection to ZM console

Post by Maxxarcade »

Running the latest ZMLarch, and I got everything set up, except for one issue-

For some reason, it stops responding after a couple minutes when I am using the console via a remote system.

It is just with the remote access, because I can still SSH into it, or use the ZM console on the local machine. This is a big issue for me, because this is normally a headless server. Any ideas how to fix this?

I was using the Mandriva based LiveCD distro before and never had any issues, but I wanted to move up to the new version of ZM when I upgraded the hardware this week.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Can you help me with some debugging info?

If you can ssh in can you see what is in the webserver logs?
If you use the "user" account, ~/bin/httpd_log_multitail will give you a view of both access and error logs for apache.

Also are there views or a montage window open for a few minutes before it stops responding? There is a serious bug in 1.24.1 that will bring the system down if especially montage is left open. Hopefully this will be fixed in 1.24.2
Maxxarcade

Post by Maxxarcade »

What is the password for the user account? I forgot to add myself as a user before I put the server back in the rack.

It will freeze even if I am just editing options, without montage open. Opening montage for more than a few seconds will usually make it freeze really quick though.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

What is the password for the user account?
Ahh. There isn't one. If you are using the root account for ssh just use tail or multitail. Or you can run the script in /home/usr/bin as root.
Maxxarcade

Post by Maxxarcade »

The stability problems got to the point that the whole system would freeze after a day or so, so I went back to the Mandriva 2007 distro with 1.22.3.

It's working better than ever now, but I forgot how to update it to 1.23.3.

I know there was a 1.23.3 version of the Live CD, but I couldn't figure out how to install it. If I remember right, it was asking for a password and user name, instead of just going to the desktop where I could click Install, like I did with the 2007 one. I got on with the root account, but there was no install there. Though I guess I was pretty tired that night, and gave up real quick :-)
henriquejf

Post by henriquejf »

i have a strong guess: close all the instances of your browser (for preference firefox updated), then restart firefox, call your web console again, and tell me if this silly workaround works for you;

or try to open with a different browser while the first browser is hung;

if it works, you own me 5 bucks;

if it doesnt, i own you nothing;

if you think your problem is like mine and want to join the club, described on the thread

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52491

then i think the community is next to solve that, if it wasnt already in SVN; just a guess;

good luck !
-----------------------
Henrique Barbosa
Consultant
Juiz de Fora, MG - Brazil