ZMLarch_1.24.1-4.iso changelog

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
saleh

ZMLarch_1.24.1-4.iso changelog

Post by saleh »

Hi,

I see many iso files for the ZMLarch 1.24.1, please what is the difference or the changelog between ZMLarch_1.24.1.iso and ZMLarch_1.24.1-4.iso .

http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... x/ZMLarch/

Thanks
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

Ya what is up could you list some of the changes or is there updates i need to know about?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

The change from -3 to -4 was just a "pacman -Sy mysql" update to the mysql init script. There was a bug which sometimes prevented mysql from starting the first boot of a new installation.

Existing installation that are working correctly, no reason to do anything. If you're bitten by this bug on -3, just use the command above to update mysql.

If you're downloading, always grab the latest. Important updates to existing installations will always be possible through updated packages, either official Arch packages, or zoneminder related packages from the site where you got the iso.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

what about 1-2-3 update since 4 is not included in the update directory also do i have to run each one to get updates or can i just run the last one.

ps i am having lockup problems each day i wake up i cannot access apache (permission denied error) or ssh on the Zoneminder machine. I must reboot then Zoneminder is ok but still runs very tediously see my post below will these patches help?

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13322
mrd

Post by mrd »

I gave this live version a try and so far so good. It seems so easy and I've used your LiveCD's in the past, but I'm wondering if there is any disadvantages to this as a commercial installed version. Is there anything that isn't supported or is the performance not as good as say a fresh Ubuntu Server install?

Also, how can I stop the desktop from loading to save resources on my headless system? Better yet, do you make a gui-less version?

Thanks,
Michael
MRD
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

You can do this to disable the GUI sudo vi /etc/inittab Comment the autologin line and uncomment the original.

Not sure how it compares to a Ubuntu setup, Curtis usually has a iso around these forums somewhere.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Is there anything that isn't supported
This is a pretty broad question :) All zoneminder features are working as far as I can test with the hardware I have availible. The archlinux kernel is the latest (2.6.29) so harware support should be as good as any, though the installer doesn't support install to raid. A guru could get around this manually but if you plan to install to raid I suggest looking at alternatives.
is the performance not as good as say a fresh Ubuntu Server install?
Purely theoretical, but arch is compiled with optimization for i686, Ubuntu for i386. In the real world there is probably not much difference between distros. I do use a libjpeg with mmx support and that significantly improves performance (or reduces cpu load). You could probably find that for Ubuntu as well.
PatMcLJr

ZMLarch - the best ZoneMinder Live disk yet - very nice

Post by PatMcLJr »

Hello rdmelin and all,
Very nice job on ZMLarch
I have tried a ubuntu ZMLiveCD and a MandrakeLveCD, ZMLarch is the best yet. I really like the slim, thin approach. It's very easy yo get used to.

I'll ask a newbie question, after I install ZMLarch, can I "init 3" to kill X and cut the load on the box?

Thanks,
Pat Jr.
----
evil doers beware, someone is watching you,
hopefully me!
cordel

Post by cordel »

I know I seen Ross post something similar though I think the syntax for larch is a bit different. Yes you can use run level 3.

Might give it a go, don't think it will hurt anything. Mean time I'll see if I can search for the post real quick.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I need to put something in the wiki on this. In effort to keep the system light ZMLarch doesn't use a display manager (typical runlevel 5). It's set up like this:

/etc/inittab runs autologin for 'user'
/home/user/.bash_profile starts X

So you can edit either of those to change the behavior.

And thanks Pat, glad you like it :)
mrd

Post by mrd »

So just to be clear... to me anyway...lol

I should just comment out the line in /etc/inittab below?

# -8 options fixes umlauts problem on login
c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin user vc/1 linux

Or maybe just remove the --autologin etc...?
MRD
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Yes, comment out that line and uncomment the one below it.
#c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 vc/1 linux
Or you can edit /home/user/.bash_profile and remove the lines that start X.
mrd

Post by mrd »

Worked perfectly!

Thanks so much for your work on this distro for ZM. It certainly makes my life way easier.
MRD
mrd

Question about the events directory...

Post by mrd »

I did a clean install with your Larch CD 1.24.2 and found that it created a large /home partition that I was happy about.

After the install I found that the events are still saved in the /var/lib/zm/www/events directory which causes the much smaller / file system to fill up after a while.

I'm confused as to why there are also symlinks to this under /home in 2 places. Wouldn't it make more sense to have ZM write the events to the /home directories rather than fill up /? What are the purpose of the symlinks and why are there more than 1?

Thanks for your help!
MRD
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Sorry, this should be better documented. As with previous "ZMliveCD" installations the recommended partitions scheme is a small (~3GB) / partition, a swap partition id desired, and the rest mounted under /var. This way logging gone wild from debug settings, misconfigured purge filter, package manager cache, etc can fill /var but the system will still boot and is fairly simple to fix. I don't usually use a /home partition on a dedicated zm installation. For this reason I always chose "edit partitions manually" in the installer.

The symlink to /home/user/events is a convenience. I often set up a system for non-technical users who have no interest in learning about file system layout. So being able to browse immediately to events with the file manager without navigating to /var/www/... is what they want. The redundant symlink in /home/user/Video/ was not intentional :(

Please feel free to add to the wiki to steer others right. I am finding that I don't have the time to put into this that I would like.