RPM website link dead - Upgrading 1.22.2 LiveCD to 1.23.3

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
tagg

RPM website link dead - Upgrading 1.22.2 LiveCD to 1.23.3

Post by tagg »

I noticed the LiveCD author had posted that he might be moving to a new host. Does anyone know what the new URL for the LiveCD RPM's is?
Last edited by tagg on Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

The new site isn't up yet. The old link is up now. Give it another try.
tagg

Post by tagg »

Thank you, Sir!
tagg

Post by tagg »

Hmmm...

I need a hand.

I have the LiveCD 1.22.2 installed from a burned ISO from the image here on Zoneminder. I had noticed a few "anomalies" in that version of ZM, like, for example, the expansion of the token %ED% in emails which I hope are fixed in a later version.

I just downloaded the rpm for 1.23.3 from Ross' website and tried to install it. I was under the impression that the LiveCD available for download here was MDV2007.

Here is what I got.

# urpmi zm-1.23.3-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
Some package requested cannot be installed:
zm-1.23.3-1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libavformat.so.50)
Continue? (Y/n) n

HELP!!!

Thanks!
tagg

Post by tagg »

Now I am even more confused...

#cat /etc/mandriva-release
Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586

This is for an install from the LiveCD 1.22.2 downloadable here on Zoneminder which I thought was Mandriva 2007.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

The 1.22.2 LiveCD is based on Mandriva 2006.0 and is no longer supported with updates.
There is a 1.22.3 iso which is supported. See this thread for a link and some upgrading info:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10693
You should be able to upgrade directly to the current rpm that you have, but you will need to get the additional required rpms at the same site as the iso.
tagg

Post by tagg »

Thanks Ross.

So basically the LiveCD I downloaded here a week ago, is of an obsolete, no longer maintained version that cannot be upgraded and the two days that I have spent configuring the machine and software, fine tuning zones and filters, etc. was for naught. And, that the only way forward is to blow away the contents of the machine and start with the 1.22.3 LiveCD (available elsewhere) and then I can apply the RPM's one by one to get up to current 1.23.3.

Is this correct?

I did Paypal a donation earlier today, not that that has any bearing on anything; just to prove good faith. Though, I must admit I am a bit dissapointed with this turn of events. Why even keep the obsolete version online at the main site (without even a warning)?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

maybe we should pull that version?
Its still there as it has a different installer and works on some hardware. Yes it has limitations but if your on older hardware its great.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Linuxtracker.org still has active (semi) torrents for ZM versions, 1.21.3 (25 copies), 1.22.2.1 (15 copies), and 1.22.3 (35 copies) since the sites major upgrade. The old hardware explanation explains some of this but the sheer stability and functionality of Ross's creations are legendary!
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

yep
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
tagg

Post by tagg »

Just blew away the old installation and installed the "new" 2007/1.22.3 LiveCD. It comes without SSHD installed (so I have to work inside a closet instead of at my desk), it cannot be installed from the GUI package manager and urpmi.update -a does not work. (Sigh!)
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

sshd was removed due to security concerns, and what are you using the gui package manager for?
James Wilson

tagg

Post by tagg »

James,

I was trying to install SSHD using the gui package manager because the other mechanisms failed to retrieve it. At one point the package database indicated it was corrupt. Turns out the mirrors in the LiveCD are either down or don't exist any more. I finally got it and installed it using wget from a different mirror and I was able to leave the drafty confines of the server closet (where the video sources terminate). Then I followed the instructions to bring ZM up to 1.23.3 and I ended up with a flaky install that hangs, doesn't send emails, etc. The log is filled with a variety of errors including some like this: Jun 3 11:58:01 localhost zmfilter[14785]: ERR[Command '/usr/lib/zm/bin/zmevent dump /var/www/html/zm/events/1/1' exited with status: 1]. Also, when I configure filters it spawns "TMP" phantoms of the filters I am working with as well as being unable to show the montage screen in either Firefox or Konqueror on the console.

I tried re-initializing the database (zminit) and re-entering the configuration but that didn't help.

I appreciate your and Ross' help, but at this point I think I need to face reality that I am out of time and go back to the Win software that shipped with the card.

Thanks
tagg

Post by tagg »

Well, just to say I gave it a fair chance, I tried to install the LiveCD 2007/1.22.3 again. Once again it got caught in a loop of "partition drive", "have to reboot", hang, reboot again, etc. like the first time. It eventually worked after a dozen or so tries but ended up in the disaster I wrote about above.

This newer LiveCD is not really a workable solution and given all the dead links in the Wiki for other Linux versions it would appear to me that there is no simple way to get a working, current, zoneminder installation. It's a shame because what I did see looked pretty good.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

your right it is a shame, sorry it hasnt worked for you. I can only speak of my own success's with ross's cd's and they have always been great.
When your windows install has problems pop back and lets see what we can do
James Wilson