help, needed novice

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
njeuk

help, needed novice

Post by njeuk »

i need help in trying to install zoneminder. i have an AMD athlon 500 cpu with 196Mb ram and 300gb hdd. its for a community centre with very limited funds (donations only). i have put CTU f3 distro on it fine but can't seem to get it to work. i can't see where ZM is to run it. is there an other version idiot proof which i can try or can someone point me in the right direction. thanks :oops:
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The simplest install method I have seen is Peter's deb file. This will only work on Ubuntu and Debian. However, you can install Ubuntu server with the LAMP option easily and run with no GUI. That will be needed for such an underpowered system. And you better not have many cams...
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

Have you looked at the LiveCD version??

Put the CD into your computer and re-boot from it. You can install onto the Harddisk from the web menu that it presents you with.

NB: If you are using SATA hard disks and CD/DVD's then you "might" have issues (I did on a Dell Optiplex). in which case revert back to a full linux install and install ZM as a package.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I do not think many Live CD's will work in 196 meg of ram, which is what he has. One with a MYSQL database will surly fail spectacularly.
darkpaw

not enough RAM

Post by darkpaw »

I just can't see it working in that little amount of RAM. The ring buffer would have to be very very small, and if not, it would be running into swap (which would make the machine run too slow to be usable for real-time captures).
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

Lee Sharp wrote:I do not think many Live CD's will work in 196 meg of ram, which is what he has. One with a MYSQL database will surly fail spectacularly.
This thread shows that some people have managed to get it working in 196MB ram http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... highlight=

However, my thinking was that he would get a (slow) system up with the live CD and then install to hard disk.

But as I said in that thread... since memory is soooo cheap, the few $ he will spend on the memory will save him a lot of heart ache...