Optimal capture resolution?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
sgn

Optimal capture resolution?

Post by sgn »

I've been running ZM for years. Been capturing at half PAL resolution, as I never figured out the actual ouput resolution of my cameras.

I have thirteen of these cameras:
http://www.altram.com.pl/Katalogi/Videotronic/fs6_e.pdf

and two of these:
http://www.altram.com.pl/Katalogi/Videotronic/fs7_e.pdf

(-6012P and -7012P)

What is the optimal capture resolution? I know the cameras have X TV-lines (vertical resolution), but what is the optimal horizontal resolution?
robi

Post by robi »

Cameras have For 330 TV lines resolution and 460 TV lines resolution. Best match if the number of lines equals with the height of the captured picture. Bigger height is useless.

However in PAL, capturing above 384x288 produces interlacing.
So the recommended settings would be 320x240 for the first type you mentioned, and 384x288 for the second one.

You can however run all in 384x288 to have them equal and look good.
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server
sgn

Post by sgn »

OK... I have a couple of these too, it seems:
http://www.sanyosecurity.com/np-item/p_ ... 6585p.html

What would be the best capture resolution on these?
robi

Post by robi »

it says 520 TV lines...
Any picture height above this number is useless. 384x288 for this too.
sgn

Post by sgn »

OK. Great, thanks :).

Is 384x288 "compatible" with the actual ouput from the cameras, though? It won't cause any distortion like if you don't do a linear resize on both axis?

The reason I'm asking is that stored images aren't exactly impressive in quality. Might be JPEG-"noise", though. Perhaps ZM will come with PNG-support as a lossless option. Requires more space, but higher quality might come in handy to some.
sgn

Post by sgn »

One last thing, which palette should I be using? Using RGB24 now, it works, but might be the cause of the crappy images? Seeing the other thread about the "lines" due to shmem, where the images were far better?
sgn

Post by sgn »

And what is the ACTUAL output resolution (in h*w pixels) of these three cameras?
robi

Post by robi »

PAL aspect ratio is 4:3, as long as your capture resolution Width:Height is 4:3 scale, no distortion will occur.

Analog cameras have lines, not pixels. Pixels are in digital format, eg only after capture.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

sgn wrote:One last thing, which palette should I be using? Using RGB24 now, it works, but might be the cause of the crappy images? Seeing the other thread about the "lines" due to shmem, where the images were far better?
Use 100 in the quality thats pretty lossless, but lossless images IMO would be a huge waste of space, much better to get a better source and PAL/NTSC isnt it
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
sgn

Post by sgn »

Well, 100% image quality helped a bit, but let's say I just for kicks want to store the events in the maximum possible resolution without actually upscaling them, which resolution should I configure ZM to use for the specific three cameras?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

as above if you go above half res on your standard )ie pall is 288) then you will get interlace issues. So dont go any higher, or go higher and accept it. Or use ip cams that dont have this issue (ie axis) then you can do multi megapixel.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
eug

Post by eug »

jameswilson wrote:as above if you go above half res on your standard )ie pall is 288) then you will get interlace issues. So dont go any higher, or go higher and accept it. Or use ip cams that dont have this issue (ie axis) then you can do multi megapixel.
How do the apps that come with tuner cards give a good picture at full res? Do they do software deinterlacing, or use the hardware differently?

I'm running my cameras at 352x288 at the moment, but there are some cameras that could greatly benefit from 704x576, at which i get interlacing issues.

I'm using a Kodicom 8800, which I thought was capable of 8x 704x576...

Is there a way to do software deinterlacing? I should have enough cpu cycles to spare for one or two cameras. :)

thanks
eug

Post by eug »

eug wrote:
jameswilson wrote:as above if you go above half res on your standard )ie pall is 288) then you will get interlace issues. So dont go any higher, or go higher and accept it. Or use ip cams that dont have this issue (ie axis) then you can do multi megapixel.
How do the apps that come with tuner cards give a good picture at full res? Do they do software deinterlacing, or use the hardware differently?
mmm.. looks like the video card does the deinterlacing, at least in a pc with a decent graphics card.

It'd be great if ZM could do s/w deinterlacing one day... :)

edit: looks like deinterlacing is being looked at already.. here's to hoping everything falls into place eventually!