File system limits number of events?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
unclerichy

File system limits number of events?

Post by unclerichy »

Since early this morning one of my cameras has failed to record any events. I almost got it going again but I've since hit another problem, namely that I'm now errors like this:

Feb 14 17:23:16 camserver zma_m13[4259]: ERR [Can't make events/13/362292: Too many links]
Feb 14 17:23:16 camserver zma_m13[4259]: ERR [Can't open events/13/362292/001-capture.jpg: No such file or directory]

A 'ls -l | wc -l' shows that there are 30000 events in the subfolder for that camera. Is this a limitation of Redhat 9?

I've had a quick search via google and haven't found anything. If this is the case then a) I need to sort out my events! and b) I see a change to the event folder structure coming up.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I don't think it's a limitation of RH9 as such, rather one of the ext2 filesystem. I _think_ ext3 allows many more than that. What type of filesystem do you have? 30k events is quite a lot to keep at once tho :shock:

Phil
unclerichy

Post by unclerichy »

zoneminder wrote:I don't think it's a limitation of RH9 as such, rather one of the ext2 filesystem. I _think_ ext3 allows many more than that. What type of filesystem do you have? 30k events is quite a lot to keep at once tho :shock:

Phil
It's ext3. As for the huge amount - just call me sentimental... :roll:
Eklectick

Post by Eklectick »

Phil

I am yet to see 30000 events... but just wondering... events keep growing in number, but old ones do get deleted with PurgeWhenFull...

What will eventually happen with the numbering?
Does the numbering reset itself? Will numbers hit the millions? :shock:

Is there a way to make it all start from 001 when it hits a certain number?

Regards!
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

The numbering is just the id assigned automatically in the DB by MySQL. I think this currently is around the 2 billion mark before it will wrap. I don't remember what MySQL does when it hits it. Hopefully we'll all be on 64 bit machines before that happens anyway.

Phil