blurry screen grabs at 640x480

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
darkpaw

blurry screen grabs at 640x480

Post by darkpaw »

My cameras are all a minimum of 420 lines, but whenever there's motion during the capture, i get what seems like interlacing where there is motion between frames. I realize that regular NTSC is only 200 lines, but shouldn't that be irrelevant when grabbing with a 400+ line camera? Since I'm not good with HTML, I'll just put a URL to an example rather than trying to post it inline:

http://wolfsden.homelinux.net/blurry-capture.jpg

I'm picking up one IP camera just to start experimenting with it. But in the meantime, I'm hoping there is a way around this.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

The cameras can only send based on the standard 200 sent but its odd then even then odd....

but shouldn't that be irrelevant when grabbing with a 400+ line camera?
The analog cameras are bound to the standard they can not go above it.

IP cams however don't have a theoretical max. and they are progressive all the lines are sent every time.
darkpaw

200 lines via analog

Post by darkpaw »

Bummer. :( I've tried bumping the number of captures per frame (saw this suggestion in a past posting), and that did help, but only slightly.

So the only way around this is the digital camera at 480 line capture? Thanks for the info.
river100

Post by river100 »

from my understanding you will only get 320x240 (ntsc) from any analog camera. anything over that and you'll get the interlacing that you have. makes a great still but not too pretty with motion.

if you want higher res then ip cams are the way to go with zoneminder.
or check out blue cherry for hardware compression capture cards that work with linux. i think i saw a post were curtis mentioned them