Streaming video issues for different browsers

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
ratosquato

Streaming video issues for different browsers

Post by ratosquato »

Hello,
Im running 1.23.3 on Ubuntu 8.04? from deb package.
Took a bit of trial and error to get an IP cam and several analog cameras working
I never could get the USB Logitech Orbit camera working, but not important.
Everything else works great now, with the exception of the streaming views.
In the process of getting everything working, I read the (1.22.x) manual and the faqs several times
The streaming worked fine on one puter running an older version of Firefox
After I changed some settings in zoneminder, it quit working on original machine, and never could get it working for newer version of firefox or IE.

I tried several combinations of settings, including installing cambozola, with no luck. Cambozola installed fine and displays in the browser, but usually says something like 'end of socket exception'

Being a programmer by trade, I realize that browser differences wreak havoc for some types of media, so I created a simple PHP page that uses zmu -i to write a jpg to disk every second.

While this works fine for a quick fix, Im thinking that there is probably a much more efficient way to get the jpg data from shared memory into the browser, be it perl, C, or PHP code.

Im not very good at PERL, but am very comfortable writing C and PHP. A few months ago, I had to write a C program to pull 340,000 jpgs out of a 10GB mjpg file. Thinking I could use some of that code to pull the stream from shared memory, I just dont know where to start.

Perhaps the final version of this mess would be Flex (swf module) that I can embed in a PHP page.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

You have miss-configured something. In all my systems, I can view in IE, and FF.
ratosquato

Post by ratosquato »

The cambozola applet displays fine, but either just displays creators name, or says end of java.socket end of file exception every time
have done the chmod to the jar, and made sure Apache cgi-bin Alias is pointed to /var/www/cgi-bin
I even tried chmod -R 777 the whole cgi-bin directory
I get 2 messages in /var/log/messages saying zms INF debug=0.... everytime I pull up screen with stream content
No clue what to try next
I started building a more powerful box yesterday, so will see if acts different.
May even try zm 1.24
ratosquato

Post by ratosquato »

Ok, I built a new box.
6000 Athlon 64X2, 2GB memory, Ubuntu 8.10
Installed 1.23.3 from deb.
Only had to symlink /usr/share/zoneminder to /var/www/zm and chmod /dev/videoX feeds from capture card.
Streaming works natively in FF now.
Havent tried IE locally.
Not streaming over internet on FF or IE, but maybe reverse proxy issue
Now Im excited to try 1.24 to get my USB cameras working