Why won't my video stream?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
johngc

Why won't my video stream?

Post by johngc »

I am probably missing something really silly here but my images are not streaming.

I have taken weeks playing around with two different cards and numerous settings and finally managed to get a picture! I know it's working as if I keep clicking refresh, I can see it moving but for some reason it does not do it of it's own accord.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 server edition with ZM installed by using the guides on here and howtoforge.

As I said before, I am sure that it is something simple that i have overlooked in my excitement of having an image!
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I'm not experienced enough to help, but I suspect you need to provide a bit more information, such as what camera are you using, is it local or remotely connected, how is it configured, can you see the camera stream with any other programs, is there anything significant-looking in the ZM logs, etc, etc...?
johngc

Post by johngc »

Sorry - you are right. I was just so pleased at having an image after such along time...

As before, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with ZM 1.23 installed. The capture card is a generic BT878 (from Ebay :D ) card and works fine with the BTTV drivers.

I have plugged it into my Desktop PC and run Xawtv and it is all working fine.

Put it in my server and added the following line to my /etc/modprobe.d/options:

options bttv radio=0 card=77 tuner=-1 to

and ZM works just fine (set as video0, channel 0, RGB24)

If I set it to Modetect - I get some video (which is really cool - I know it should do this, but after months of nothing, seeing it work is great!)

If I set to Monitor, when I click on the '1' in zones, I get a window with a still image.

If I refresh this, it keeps re capturing. I am expecting it to stream to this window hence the post. (Of course I could be expecting the wrong thing!)
johngc

Post by johngc »

And low and behold - I was...

Just clicked on the name of the monitor and ta daaa - I get the stream.

I am so stupid and should RTFM in future... Sorry :oops:
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

johngc wrote:...I am so stupid and should RTFM in future... Sorry :oops:
:D

No worries. I know exactly how you feel, believe me. ;)

Good to hear that it's working. I got a basic webcam working with ZoneMinder a few days ago and felt like opening a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the event! Now I have to do the fun bit of lifting floorboards and laying some extra cat5 cable to connect it all up. Don't ask... I just hate using wireless stuff...