DIY Video Server

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
akupsta

DIY Video Server

Post by akupsta »

Has anyone built their own video server that can be used by Zoneminder?

I have several IP cameras in my setup, however now would like to expand the system by using some cheap cameras (coax) with a multi-port BT-based video capture board. This will be a remote setup (same network, just relatively far away from the core ZM server).

I'd like to roll my own video server, similar to the Axis units, but at a lower cost. I was thinking of using a spare pc I have, loading it up with RAM, HD, and 2 x 4-port BT Video Caputre cards. Lets call this the remote server.

My question: How can I restream captured video (Video4Linux) as MJPEG trough Apache and feed this into Zoneminder. Whats involved in the conversion process and what opensource tools would do this?

I realize there may be framerate limitations, and quality considerations as generally the analog cameras don't have the same image quality as the IP ones. The frame rate issue can be overcome with some horsepower.

Thanks.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

zm can do this, just set up the server on monitor only and use that box as the source on you main zm srever
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
akupsta

Post by akupsta »

Thats neat. What URL would I direct the primary ZM server to for each monitor? I plan to host multiple cameras off the remote box.
cordel

Post by cordel »