how to do a brand new install with latest everything

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
8ace

how to do a brand new install with latest everything

Post by 8ace »

Hello folks, I followed the Documentation to install latest ZM with Ubuntu server (bionic) on a fresh HDD. All is great but I cannot seem to get beyond version 1.32 despite following the latest PPA install from the outset.

Everything I am doing is 100% vanilla and normal. I also tried followed another wiki entry which instructs me to install mariadb but that script fails informing me there are missing dependencies and so forth, none of which am i remotely qualified to figure out :shock: :lol:

Presumably I am doing something ridiculous so if there is a definitive idiot-proof recipe out there to install the latest/recommended Ubuntu with latest/recommended ZM I'd be most grateful. I would prefer to have a one-way process to follow as I do not really know how to upgrade my databases and whatnot. Happy to start afresh.

cheers!
8ace

Re: how to do a brand new install with latest everything

Post by 8ace »

Just tried a fresh install (fresh ubuntu server), tried to use PPA 36, no idea if that piece worked but now I get "user auth is not turned on cannot log in"

I am very happy to start 100% fresh.. i have no data that matters.

Perhaps I am getting tripped up in the Documentation - where it speaks of fixes that are not advised, and steps to perform only for certain versions

F'rinstance...

Certain new defaults in MySQL 5.7 cause some issues with ZoneMinder < 1.32.0, the workaround is to modify the sql_mode setting of MySQL. Please note that these changes are NOT required for ZoneMinder 1.32.0

Does this mean I skip this entire section?

Anyway, I realise all this stuff is obvious to most people.... but any help apprecaited!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!!

[attachment=0]user auth.PNG[/attachment]
Attachments
user auth.PNG
user auth.PNG (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Yeah.
Just to get it out of the equation, exactly how are you installing LAMP?
8ace

Post by 8ace »

Hi - I selected LAMP during Server install. That the right time to do it?

Then I just follow the instructions in the documentation (i tried the PPA for version .36 but it installed v 32)... to be honest I am not even slightly an expert ....it's not clear (to me) which items are optional. Especially the mySQL stuff, on the one hand it speaks of previous versions having issues so I am left wondering "so.. what do I do for this step, do I just enter the command line instructions?

ANyway. All help and guidance always appreciated!
8ace

Post by 8ace »

Hey folks- I *think* I now have 1.36 working:

Not sure if this is right but basically I installed Server with LAMP and followed the installation steps in the documentation - except for:

Step 3 - Skip section

Step 5 - Skip section

Step 7 - the a2emod instructions i dont think are needed.

All good for now... cheers! :D
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

If you were working from what I think you were, yeah, sounds right :D
8ace

Post by 8ace »

Running nicely actually.. less "Load" compared to my previous set up.

In fact, there seem to be a lot of improvements, both cosmetic and under the hood (i.e. perfornance) :wink: :lol: