intermittent blurring / streaking

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
clipo

intermittent blurring / streaking

Post by clipo »

A freshly fully re-installed system has started on one camera producing these odd blur / streaking of the videos as shown below, this system was working perfectly fine for over 6months with no issues.

ZM 1.34.25
Linux Mint 20.04
2 x HikVision cameras

This has happened on a totally different system that I ended up re-installing to resolve the issues.

Anyone got a suggestion why this is happening.
Screenshot at 2021-04-18 10-28-04.png
Screenshot at 2021-04-18 10-28-04.png (557.65 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Magic919

Re: intermittent blurring / streaking

Post by Magic919 »

Usual fix is to toggle UDP/TCP.
-
mikb

Post by mikb »

Many references to this on the forum under blurring, streaking, smearing, pixellating and all other possible synonyms -- you are getting a bit of corrupted data and the rest of the video streeeeeeeeeeee ... :) ... until the next block/group of pictures starts afresh and everything gets back in sync.
oldbeancorty

Post by oldbeancorty »

I have Hivision camera and having same smearing image issue. By setting the Alarm Frame Count to 3 under the Buffer tab in Monitor had help but does not totally eliminate the false alarm.
mikb

Post by mikb »

oldbeancorty wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 am I have Hivision camera and having same smearing image issue. By setting the Alarm Frame Count to 3 under the Buffer tab in Monitor had help but does not totally eliminate the false alarm.
"Alarm Frame Count to 3" means it will ignore short term "massive change" situations (e.g. a frame or two of junk), but it is a sticking plaster solution -- as you note, a longer disruption will punch through that setting and create false motion (but also, could corrupt an actual motion event you need!)

The real fix is to fix the underlying network issue that is corrupting the data between the camera sending and Zoneminder receiving! e.g. using UDP for a video stream (which I don't understand), WIFI interference, bad cables, etc. Usually, it's the "UDP" thing.

UDP is a protocol which is fast and efficient but comes with a possibility of your packets of "sent data" arriving zero, one, or more, times, and not in any specific order. It is not a reliable protocol, by design. If you want reliable, you add an extra layer, and called it TCP and pay the price :)
oldbeancorty

Post by oldbeancorty »

ok thanks.

My understanding was use TCP instead of UDP because TCP protocol perform error checking on each packet.

I have certainly cut down the error frames by switching from UDP to TCP.