Does buffer size matter if you're just doing passthrough with no analysis?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
skysurf76

Does buffer size matter if you're just doing passthrough with no analysis?

Post by skysurf76 »

I was just reading this thread.... viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30671

and in my situation I'm just doing h264 passthrough with constant recording and all I really care about is being able to see the live images and recordings in ZMNinja. After having read that thread it got me wondering, are the buffer warnings only for analysis? Can I drop the buffer to 1 and still record everything and get live images on ZMNinja on my phone? Still learning about ZM.

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Wait, I'm still in the testing phase. I should probably just do it and see what happens. BRB!
Last edited by skysurf76 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
skysurf76

Re: Does buffer size matter if you're just doing passthrough with no analysis?

Post by skysurf76 »

Log is REALLY pissed at me, also buffer can only go down to 10. (iconnor explained to me that the log warnings I was seeing at a buffer setting of 10 indicated that there was a possibility of a frame being lost, at a buffer of 20 the error message changed and just said buffer needed to be increased. According to the log I'm assuming at a buffer of 20 there is no chance of losing a frame anymore)

ZMNinja working great.

Still recording, but I have 30 minute events set up so have to wait awhile to verify recording.

CPU usage doesn't seem to be affected.

Memory usage went from %60 shm to %6. I just spent $179 on a 32 gig stick of Kingston ECC memory that I don't think I'm going to need. Anyone wanna buy some memory? :)

My kingdom for a way to turn off analysis if you're doing constant recording so the log doesn't yell at you!

Analysis should really be automatically turned off if record is selected as the monitor function. No need to analyze anything if you're constantly recording.