Zoneminder client-server question

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
kpgreene

Zoneminder client-server question

Post by kpgreene »

Hello to the group:

I am wondering if Zoneminder can work in a reverse client-server mode or is able to accept a streaming input of some sort.

Sadly I moved from a location where I had a great internet connection at my home (dedicated fiber to a tier one provider) and now to a rural location in Mississippi where my only possible internet connection is via a high latency (~700 ms) satellite connection. The actual zoneminder instance is still located in my California office location with again, a tier one dedicated fiber connection.

Rather than the zoneminder instance trying to connect to my various cameras at the new home and request video (a "pull"), I would like to push the video to the zoneminder instance. Something like a ip address and a specific port for each camera.

The other alternate would be to run a zoneminder instance here at the new home and then export the video to the primary zoneminder instance. I am trying to have a backup offsite and also a central location where I can see all the cameras.

Note that I do have a business grade satellite connection with reasonable bandwidth and bandwidth limits. It is just the challenge of the latency that gets me a bit upset at times.

Any ideas would be great.

Thank you.
Acewiza

Re: Zoneminder client-server question

Post by Acewiza »

You're gonna find that cost-prohibitive to ship over the Internet via satcom. Maybe low-sense stills, but livestream - no way.
iconnor

Re: Zoneminder client-server question

Post by iconnor »

I would setup a local server and use a remote Storage Area to backup video files to.