[SOLVED] Mergerfs issue: No space left on device

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
zm_123

[SOLVED] Mergerfs issue: No space left on device

Post by zm_123 »

Hello all,
First time poster here. I recently upgraded from 1.30.x to 1.34.22 and mergerfs has not behaved the way it used to be. When a drive is filled up, I expect mergerfs to look for available space of other drive(s) in the pool and writes the data there. This had worked fine with 1.30.x but not with 1.34.x. In this new build, once the first drive is filled up, I would get many error messages like this

Code: Select all

Dec 10 01:02:42 PC10 zma_m1[5590]: ERR [zma_m1] [Can't open /mnt/virtual/zoneminder/events/1/2020-12-10/96247/02968-capture.jpg for writing: No space left on device]
with ZM Storage status shows only about 60% full (first drive is full and the 2nd drive is empty. My 2 drives are not the same size, 1.5T and 1T).

When I manually create a file using the touch command,

touch /mnt/virtual/zoneminder/events/test.txt
the new file is created on the empty 2nd drive as expected.

Here are things that I have done
  • Set the Option > Storage> Path is set to /mnt/virtual/zoneminder/events, the virttual path of mergerfs.
  • Confirmed the DiskSpace in Option menu shows correct used and total values of the mergerfs pool.
  • Created a /etc/zm/conf.d/03-events.conf and added ZM_DIR_EVENTS=/mnt/virtual/zoneminder/events
  • Set owner and permission of the virtual drive to www-data

drwxrwxrwx 4 www-data www-data 4096 Dec  2 15:18 virtual
The Storage option in 1.34.22 is new to me. I suspect there are still more configurations needed to be done. I'm just lost and not quite sure what to try next.
Please help. Many thanks in advance.

[UPDATE:]
It was a mergerfs issue after all. After adding

category.create=lfs 
to the mergerfs option, the problem described above went away.