Adding Foscam C1 with ZM 1.34

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
egglestn

Adding Foscam C1 with ZM 1.34

Post by egglestn »

Hi
I am using ZM 1.34 on Ubuntu 20.04. All works well with 4*Foscam FI9816P cams, and a Wansview Onvif cam. The Foscams are mapped to ports 81-84 and I use a ddns xxyyyy.myfoscam.org and a source path /videostream.cgi?user=username&pwd=password and method "simple" and type "remote" & it works fine.
The wansview has port 85 open and also has port 554 mapped to it (ie 554 ->554), rtsp://xxyyyy.myfoscam.org/onvif1 source ffmpeg method UDP which also works fine.
I want to add two extra Foscam c1 and have refered to the page https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Foscam_C1 I use ffmped rtsp://myname:mypass@xxyyyymyfoscam.org:86/videoMain and method UDP, I get a not capturing message on the console.
I am guessing its something simple and a bit dense on my part, Ive set the frame sizes, and when i loof using a different program (Unetcam for mac) i see a lovely feed from the cam
I THINK I need to force teh c1 to use a simple (?http) capture method, but not sure... Any advice or comments gratefully received
bbunge

Re: Adding Foscam C1 with ZM 1.34

Post by bbunge »

From what you have described it appears that your cameras are located remotely from the LAN where the Zoneminder server is located and you are trying to do port forwarding to get the cameras to work?
egglestn

Post by egglestn »

Yes, the cameras are at my elderly mothers, and the Zoneminder server is at my home. I have opened the appropriate port on her router (as described in OP)
For the original foscam incidences it works fine, but adding teh C1s seems more problematic
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

egglestn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:03 pm Yes, the cameras are at my elderly mothers, and the Zoneminder server is at my home. I have opened the appropriate port on her router (as described in OP)
For the original foscam incidences it works fine, but adding teh C1s seems more problematic
You may be better off and more secure using a VPN to get to the cameras. Or just set up a small Zoneminder server at mom's. An old PC would work well and you could manage it remotely.
burger

Post by burger »

Agreed - use a vpn or 2nd server. WAN accessible security cameras are compromised on a regular basis. Not recommended.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
egglestn

Post by egglestn »

Agreed, BUT, in the short term and given I am 500 miles away,and only got back yesterday, is there a way of connecting the cams that I have set up to the original system (Security caveats duly noted) as per the OP?