Installation health check

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
tbbrightman

Installation health check

Post by tbbrightman »

I have installed ZM1.34 on Ubuntu 20.04 and I am delighted by what ZM does.

However, I am such a newbie to Ubuntu and ZM that I cannot determine whether my installation is working properly or not.

During the installation process, I did NOT install or configure any sort of SQL or Apache anything. This may or may not be OK. I simply don't know and the documentation is punctuated so as to make it ambiguous WRT SQL and Apache.

The fact that it worked a little bit was encouraging but now I observe that ZM is dropping video and the computer on which ZM is installed now takes 10 seconds to load a gmail inbox. Still working, just slowly!

This may be a symptom of the classic problem with fragmented (or multi-step) installation precedures. How does the user check his work?

How should I proceed?
zmc

Re: Installation health check

Post by zmc »

If there were no errors during installation and the system works, then I'd say it's healthy :)

Your symptoms sound like system resources are running out. How's your CPU, network and memory?

That being said, I did install LAMP during installation. I always thought it was a requirement but admittedly this can be read as a recommendation only from the docs ("recommended", "can achieve" instead of "should" or "must"):
It is recommended that you use an Ubuntu Server install and select the LAMP option during install to install Apache, MySQL and PHP. If you failed to do this you can achieve the same result by running:
bbunge

Re: Installation health check

Post by bbunge »

tbbrightman wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 pm I have installed ZM1.34 on Ubuntu 20.04 and I am delighted by what ZM does.

However, I am such a newbie to Ubuntu and ZM that I cannot determine whether my installation is working properly or not.

During the installation process, I did NOT install or configure any sort of SQL or Apache anything. This may or may not be OK. I simply don't know and the documentation is punctuated so as to make it ambiguous WRT SQL and Apache.

The fact that it worked a little bit was encouraging but now I observe that ZM is dropping video and the computer on which ZM is installed now takes 10 seconds to load a gmail inbox. Still working, just slowly!

This may be a symptom of the classic problem with fragmented (or multi-step) installation precedures. How does the user check his work?

How should I proceed?
All depends on the instructions you used to install Zoneminder. The easiest instructions for beginner is at: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... der_1.34.x
Also, I recommend you not install on your prime computer. Depending on your hardware Zoneminder can put a load on a system. And an install without a desktop is best!