Recorded video take a long time to display in mp4

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
interdif

Recorded video take a long time to display in mp4

Post by interdif »

Hi,

i have a problem with the load time of mp4 recorded events, i record for some camera at 1080p/24 so video files are around 300mb ...

when i want to play an event in chrome or zmninj, i have to wait longgg time for it to play, if i'm on wifi its ..... longggggg

on firefox its very quick but i cant search in the video since its not fully downloaded...

i dont remember it was so long to load before and its not network related, maybe an update in ZM or Chrome ?

any ideas are welcome :)

Thanks
mikb

Re: Recorded video take a long time to display in mp4

Post by mikb »

Is the long wait because your browser is indeed downloading the whole thing (before it lets you play it at all), so that it can truly know the size, and then let you seek in it?

Firefox is letting you view it while still downloading (cacheing) at the expense of being able to seek. Can't seek, I don't know the size!?

Some video players won't play a part-downloaded video (just a flat refusal because it's not complete) whereas others will play, but will act oddly once the file becomes longer than the length it first estimated :) (e.g. when you reach 02:39 of 02:32 ... file is 103% complete and still growing, huh?)
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Please test with 1.34.18. Might be fixed, and now we have some options for tweaking.
incompetent-nerd

Post by incompetent-nerd »

I was also experiencing this when using ZMNinja.
I travel a lot, so downloading the full 300MB video on a spotty 3G connection (4G if lucky) was a showstopper for me.
It looks like others experienced this also: https://github.com/ZoneMinder/zoneminder/issues/2984.

You can try to revert to the old passthrough behavior.
In the ZM console, click on "source" for the camera, then click storage, then in the "Optional Encoder Parameters" type: movflags=frag_custom+dash+delay_moov
Wait for the next segment to be recorded and saved. When you play the recorded event, it should pop up quickly because it doesn't need to download the entire video first.

The drawback is that if you have a event that was not fully saved, it may be unplayable.
I believe this was one of the reasons the authors made the change.
RagenVox

Post by RagenVox »

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies?