Zoneminder and poe cctv setup

Forum for questions and support relating to 1.33.x development only.
zmuser2018

Zoneminder and poe cctv setup

Post by zmuser2018 »

Hi everyone
I'm new to this and was wondering if someone could provide some guidance as I'm currently stuck while trying to setup my camera

I purchased a reolink rlc410-5mp poe camera
I'm currently on ubuntu
I have a zoneminder image in docker

Before i setup zoneminder, I'm trying to find the url of my camera so I can see if it works properly.
A lot of advice online suggests using rtsp urls but I'm struggling to stream it(vlc)
Here's what I did
I found the url format for reolink online
Main Stream: rtsp://admin:password@ip_address:554//h264Preview_01_main

Because my camera is new, there's no default password so I changed the url to
Main Stream: rtsp://admin@ip_address:554//h264Preview_01_main

I've attached the CCTV to my laptop via an ethernet cable and supplying power to the camera via a power adaptor
I don't know the IP address of the camera and there's no reolink client I can use to find it so I used nmap
nmpa -sn 192.168.0.0/24
The above gave me all the devices attached to my laptop (8 devices)
this is a bit strange as I'd have expected only the router (maybe not even that) and the cctv device to show up

Anyway, I disconnected the cctv and run nmap again so that I could see what ip was missing and this allowed me(by the process of elimination)
to find the ip address i believe is associated to my CCTV.

however when I use the rtsp url in vlc, I can't connect

I'm not sure what I'm missing, am I getting the correct ip address ? is there a way to find what I'm attached to?

Thank you
rockedge

Re: Zoneminder and poe cctv setup

Post by rockedge »

you are missing the colon between the user:password!

Code: Select all

rtsp://admin@ip_address:554//h264Preview_01_main
try->

rtsp://admin:@ip_address:554//h264Preview_01_main
zmuser2018

Post by zmuser2018 »

I believe I tried that but I'll try it again with all the IP addresses I have fuond.
However, if the password is black, shouldn't it just be admin@ip_address rather than admin:@ip_address
The format of having a colon doesn't look right.
Is there a way to find my CCTV device IP address accurately if I don't have a Reolink client?
mikb

Post by mikb »

zmuser2018 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:53 pm Is there a way to find my CCTV device IP address accurately if I don't have a Reolink client?
Other than pro-actively poking it, as you are doing with nmap (it's not clear, did nmap actually find an extra device on 192.168.x.x??) you could :-

1) Find documentation for the camera that reveals a default IP address, factory reset the thing, and hope it turns up there: Beware of collision with an existing device on the same IP address on your network. Disconnect existing device temporarily, if so.

Or you could 2) use tcpdump/wireshark or similar tools to listen to all packets on the network, then connect JUST the camera to your PC (no hub, router, other devices, just cable together), power the camera on, and see if it speaks. Odds are it will send some kind of packet, e.g. "DHCP: give me an address", or "NTP: What time is it" or "Calling China, oops ... caught out ...." :)

Be also aware, you assume it's in 192.168.x.x, but the manufacturer (or previous user?) may have other ideas and set it to any other range. Private (10.x.x.x) or public (x.x.x.x!) so you might be scanning the wrong space.

When in doubt, it's best to simplify the network to two things. Your PC. The thing that's being a problem. I found an annoying "I'm 169.something.x.y" for one device I bought, and had to bring it back into line before I could use it. Another defaulted to an existing device's IP address (192.168.0.20?) on reset, which is a nuisance, not only can you not talk to it, but it clobbers another item on the network.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Have you tried using a web browser to connect to (what you think is) the camera's IP address? http://ip.add.re.ss

Maybe your router will provide a list of assigned DHCP addresses or active devices?
zmuser2018

Post by zmuser2018 »

Hi
I managed to make it work on vlc at least
The main issue was that I was connecting it directly to my laptop, because my laptop doesn't have DHCP capabilities, it wouldn't have been able to communicate with my cctv camera.
Connecting it the router and then trying a few variants of the rtsp url did the job.

Please bare with me as I'm now trying to setup my Hikvision(as well as Reolink) poe camera in zone minder
Here are the specs

Docker version 18.09.2, build 6247962
Zoneminder running in docker v. 1.32.3 Downloaded from https://hub.docker.com/r/quantumobject/docker-zoneminder/
poe camera version: Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I WDR 4 mm
sw version of cctv: 5.5.0build
Now, whilst I can connect this cctv using vlc with the following url

rtsp://192.168.0.*:554/ch1/main/av_stream
After which vlc prompts with a windows asking for username and password

I can't seem to use the same url above to connect with zm
I did try the url with username and password in the string and that doesn't work either in vlc and zm

rtsp://admin:pwd192.168.0.*:554/ch1/main/av_stream
The settings I've tried in zm are:

sourcetype:ffmpeg with tcp method
and

sourcetype:remote with rts/rtsp method

2560x1440 resolution on both
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

zmuser2018 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:26 pm I did try the url with username and password in the string and that doesn't work either in vlc and zm

rtsp://admin:pwd192.168.0.*:554/ch1/main/av_stream
You're missing an '@' symbol after the password...

rtsp://admin:pwd@192.168.0.*:554/ch1/main/av_stream
zmuser2018

Post by zmuser2018 »

Hi
Sorry that was an error in copying and pasting in this forum, I had the "@" in the actual path.

Actually I managed to make it work
Here are the configuration I have used so someone else can get help from this

Docker version 18.09.2, build 6247962
Zoneminder running in docker v. 1.32.3 Downloaded from https://hub.docker.com/r/quantumobject/docker-zoneminder/
poe camera model: Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I WDR 4 mm
sw version of cctv: 5.5.0build
Zoneminder settings

source type: ffmpeg
method: TCP
path: rtsp://username:password@ip_address:port/Streaming/Channels/1
resolution: 2560x1440 (can set a different one and it worked for me)