Zoneminder and Seperate HDD for recording

Forum for questions and support relating to 1.33.x development only.
Blue.R

Zoneminder and Seperate HDD for recording

Post by Blue.R »

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and Zoneminder and having issue with adding a separate HDD for storage of recording data. My setup is as follows:

I'm running a Ubuntu 18.04\Zoneminder through a CentOS\KVM Hypervisor.

HDD_1: 80GB Virtual Drive
HDD_2: 2TB Virtual Drive

The system works fine at the moment with the recording data being stored on HDD_1 (var/cache/zoneminder/events)

What I want to do is use HDD_2 as the drive for storage of the recorded data. This is what I have done do far (following instructions @ https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html).

1. Mounted the 2TB drive @ mnt/vdb (correct drive size is being shown in properties and I can move files to vdb folder)
2. Created two folders, zoneminder and events
3. Change permission to www-data
4. Add new storage option in ZM with path /mnt/vdb/zoneminder/events

Issue:
1. When I add the new storage option in ZM it shows 0B/0B as the available space.
2. Log files shows the following errors:

Storage::disk_usage_percent: path /mnt/vdb/zoneminder/events does not exist

Path /mnt/vdb/zoneminder/events does not exist.

Path /mnt/vdb/zoneminder/events does not exist.

I've made sure the permission are good and I'm a bit lost at the moment. I have events already being recorded in /var/cache/zonemider/events already and I don't really want to directly mount the new HDD to that folder.

Any ideas about what could be wrong with my setup? I've added a couple of images to show the current setup.

Thanks,
Attachments
Zoneminder_3.png
Zoneminder_3.png (103.62 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Zoneminder_2.png
Zoneminder_2.png (35.19 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Zoneminder_1.png
Zoneminder_1.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
kitkat

Re: Zoneminder and Seperate HDD for recording

Post by kitkat »

What are the permissions of /mnt and /mnt/vdb?

On CentOS they'd both need to have the eXecute bit set for all users else Apache can't see or traverse the directories below them, so maybe it's the same with Ubuntu and other distros?

I would have thought that it should still see the disk size though.
Blue.R

Post by Blue.R »

/mnt and /mnt/vdb permissions are currently set as "security". They are not the same as the folders below..I can change them as see if that makes a difference. If the above is right.. makes sense why ZM cant see the size or cant see the folders.

Most of the tutorials that show how to do this doesnt say they need to be changed.. no harm in trying I guess.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

The screenshot suggests that the permissions on /mnt/vdb are set to owner-only (rwx------ or 700) so only the security user can read them.

Try chmod-ing that and /mnt to 755 (rwxr-xr-x) so that other users can read and 'execute' them.

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /mnt /mnt/vdb
Blue.R

Post by Blue.R »

Update:

Changing of the permission on /mnt and /mnt/vdb fixed this issue. This step was not identified in any of the tutorials...

Thanks for the help kitkat.