Best way to handle day vs night zone sensitivity

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
faginbagin

Best way to handle day vs night zone sensitivity

Post by faginbagin »

I've got an IP camera with night vision covering an area that is working well during the day, but I'm not getting much in the way of events overnight, events I know are happening. I think I can can get better motion detection if the zone configuration is more sensitive at night. I thought run states might be the answer, but AFAICT, looking at the database, they only save and restore the function (e.g modect, monitor) and enabled/disabled state of a monitor. They don't save/restore zone configurations, which are what control sensitivity to motion.

So my next thought is to have two monitors that are identical, including rtsp stream, differing only in name, function and enabled/disabled state, depending on run state. They would also have different zone configurations. "Cam1-Day" would have a zone config fine tuned for daylight. "Cam1-Night"'s zone config would be fine tuned for night. There would be a "Day" run state where Cam1-Day is enabled and function=modect while Cam1-Night would be disabled with function=none (I think none guarantees only one zoneminder process tries to read the rtsp stream). The "Night" run state would reverse things: Cam1-Day would be disabled with function=none and Cam1-Night would be enabled with function=modect. Then there would be cron jobs to switch run states in the morning and at night.

Is this the best way to achieve my goal, changing sensitivity based on time of day? Or is there a better way?