zmNinja-Pro works with IP but not FQDN

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
jasonsansone

zmNinja-Pro works with IP but not FQDN

Post by jasonsansone »

I installed a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 18.04.3 LTS. I followed the easy guide to install ZoneMinder 1.32.3. This is a dedicated install with nothing else running, installed, or configured on Ubuntu. I have a wildcard SSL certificate from LetsEncrypt and enabled HTTPS in the Apache2 config. With the exception of the HTTPS changes, I haven’t changed anything from the install guide. I can use ZoneMinder in a web browser without any foreseen issues. I have done the recommended API tests and those successfully validate. When I attempt to use zmNinja on iOS (iPad or iPhone), I can not connect when using the FQDN. The app says “Login validated but API failed”. If I use the server’s direct internal IP instead of the FQDN, zmNinja will connect. The FQDN is configured in the DNS servers for the LAN. The server is not externally accessible (I do not wish to port forward or otherwise make the server accessible without LAN or VPN access). What am I doing wrong?
asker

Re: zmNinja-Pro works with IP but not FQDN

Post by asker »

1. The FAQ may help, specifically this entry. While it speaks of self signed certs, not sure if that also applies to wildcard certs, which leads me to the next one:

2. Always look at Debug logs. See How to report errors
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Post by asker »

Thinking about this a bit more:

Try with the desktop client of zmNinja - same issues? If not, it may well be SSL cert related. Mobile devices are far more finicky. Debug logs should show some hints.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jasonsansone

Post by jasonsansone »

asker wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 pm Thinking about this a bit more:

Try with the desktop client of zmNinja - same issues? If not, it may well be SSL cert related. Mobile devices are far more finicky. Debug logs should show some hints.
I tested the desktop port v1.3.074 for macOS. It works with the FQDN. The mobile issue is not replicated. The mobile log is attached. I replaced my FQDN and IP for security, but it is otherwise intact.
Attachments
zmNinjaLog.txt
(70.24 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
asker

Post by asker »

Yup, so its SSL Cert related. Your logs are full of

Code: Select all

Aug 11, 2019 10:48:43 AM DEBUG ***  Inside native HTTP error for url:undefined
Aug 11, 2019 10:48:43 AM DEBUG Not intercepting as skipIntercept is true
Aug 11, 2019 10:48:43 AM INFO zmAutologin Error {"status":-1,"error":"An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made."} and status undefined
You should inspect your server logs to see what Apache is saying during SSL connections (Set Apache LogLevel to Debug)

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jasonsansone

Post by jasonsansone »

I managed to solve the problem. Thank you for your assistance. I had "SSLCertificateFile" and "SSLCertificateKeyFile" set in the VirtualHost file, but I needed to also configure "SSLCertificateChainFile", "SSLCACertificatePath", and "SSLCACertificateFile". With those changes, it works perfect. Safari and Chrome didn't complain or throw any errors but I suspect if I had tested the site against ssllabs.com it would have revealed the SSL chain issue.
asker

Post by asker »

Glad you got this resolved and thanks for posting the details.

ES docs
zmNinja docs