ZoneMinder + Raspberry Pi 4?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
Ken

Re: ZoneMinder + Raspberry Pi 4?

Post by Ken »

Hey gang.

My new Model 4 B arrived and I'm testing it with ZoneMinder. So far, the "stock" Buster image (burned to both the MicroSD and my M.2 USB SSD) works great. Install was easy and painless, as was the tweak to boot from the SSD instead of the MicroSD. Response time is fantastic with 1 camera so I plan on incrementally adding to see how far I can push my luck. ...OK "or until I run out of $ to spend on cameras" *grin*

A few notes: I'm using a wired connection rather than wireless and I expanded the SSD to be the full size (500 GB) to help store the video. My camera was a -bit- older but the ONVIF search worked like a charm. The multimedia .deb worked as advertised but I did have a problem getting it with wget. I ended up going to the site and downloading/installing it. Maybe it was my fat fingers rather than a problem with my Pi config though.

Thanks for "the Easy way" tips, man!
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Ken wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 pm Hey gang.

My new Model 4 B arrived and I'm testing it with ZoneMinder. So far, the "stock" Buster image (burned to both the MicroSD and my M.2 USB SSD) works great. Install was easy and painless, as was the tweak to boot from the SSD instead of the MicroSD. Response time is fantastic with 1 camera so I plan on incrementally adding to see how far I can push my luck. ...OK "or until I run out of $ to spend on cameras" *grin*

A few notes: I'm using a wired connection rather than wireless and I expanded the SSD to be the full size (500 GB) to help store the video. My camera was a -bit- older but the ONVIF search worked like a charm. The multimedia .deb worked as advertised but I did have a problem getting it with wget. I ended up going to the site and downloading/installing it. Maybe it was my fat fingers rather than a problem with my Pi config though.

Thanks for "the Easy way" tips, man!
You did not have to use the deb-multimedia version of Zoneminder as Raspbian has Zoneminder 1.32.3 in its Buster repro. Just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and un-comment the last line.
Ken

Post by Ken »

UPDATE: My Model 4 B was hot as hell after a day of ZoneMinder-ing. I popped the top off the case and powered down but I'm ordering a fan this afternoon. I'm betting the combination of video and a bit higher processing power now justifies a case with a fan.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I've submitted a bug report to the deb-multimedia maintainer. He replied and said the Zoneminder package has been fixed and should be on the repro in a day or so. He will also fix the stable version which should do the Rasbian version as well. Stay tuned...
printgeek

Post by printgeek »

I am new to this forum and Zoneminder in general. I installed ZoneMinder to an rpi4 using the instructions i found here and it's running. I went to add a camera and saw under the Source tab that X264 encode is not available on Arm. Is there a way to recompile this so it takes advantage of the h.264 hardware encode/decode on the Pi 4?
Vispen74

Post by Vispen74 »

Is anyone using Zoneminder on rpi4 in a docker container with success? In that case, what image are you using?
Vispen74

Post by Vispen74 »

Vispen74 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:05 pm Is anyone using Zoneminder on rpi4 in a docker container with success? In that case, what image are you using?
No one?