1.32.3 - Can't create frame capture images from video because there is no video file for this event

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
Ilia_SB

1.32.3 - Can't create frame capture images from video because there is no video file for this event

Post by Ilia_SB »

Hello,
I'm running Zoneminder 1.32.3 under Ubuntu server 19.04 with camera configured as ffmpeg mocord, storage set to h264 camera passthrough. Everything seems to work properly except for one thing: I can't get capture images for the 'New Event' (but it works fine for all older events). The error is:
Can't create frame capture images from video because there is no video file for this event at /var/cache/zoneminder/events/3/2019-05-13/221/
When I check the path I can see the the 221-video.mp4 there and its size is several hundred kilobytes or several megabytes. Once the event is no longer new (name changes to Event-xxx in the events list) I can click on frames or alarm frames and they are generated just fine.
I think this prevents me from using a hook in zm event server - it can't download frames for analysis once the alarm arrives because they never get created.
I would be grateful if someone could give me a clue how to further debug this.
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere, everything I managed to find regarding this error seemed to relate to some other problems.
rockedge

Re: 1.32.3 - Can't create frame capture images from video because there is no video file for this event

Post by rockedge »

what do you have set in the monitors Storage configuration?
Ilia_SB

Re: 1.32.3 - Can't create frame capture images from video because there is no video file for this event

Post by Ilia_SB »

I had:
Save JPEGS: disabled
Video Writer: H264 Camera Passthrough
Optional Encoder Parameters: did not modify it
Audio stream: unchecked

After your reply I enabled saving jpegs and it fixed my problem.
So is this the way it is intended to work? I got confused by the fact that for older events jpegs were generating on the fly, even though saving jpegs was turned off. Having both the mp4 and jpegs seemed like a waste of storage for me. Is there no way to only store video passed from the camera without saving jpegs and still be able to use hooks in notification server?
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

Curiously, if you do not have any video saved, but only jpegs, you get the same error when moving from a frame with analysis overlay to a frame without. I suspect something somewhere (the message I see comes from /usr/share/zoneminder/www/views/image.php line 187) is flipped, and looks for video when it should look for jpeg and vice versa...

I have:

Save JPEGs Frames + Ananlysis images (if available)
Video Writer Disabled
Rick Hewett
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

MP4 support for Disco was changed. Initially I was able to get 1.32.3 working with jpeg file support as noted in the wiki. Today I noticed that mp4 support was figured out for Disco but required compiling a binary and repackaging the ZM install. So, I set out to do a script that does the install from my saved packages. Will test one more time and publish tomorrow...
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Shell script tested and published on ZM WIKI:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... ell_script

Uses Mariadb by default but MySQL can be used.