Capture frames and live video - Debian stretch

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
lazyleopard

Capture frames and live video - Debian stretch

Post by lazyleopard »

I've just recently (following a house move) finally upgraded my system from ZM 1.2something to 1.32.3, and changed the cameras I' using from old V4L ones to HikVision DS-2CD2355FWD-I ones.

Finally got the cameras responding by using ffmpeg. At one point (with, I think 1.30.x) they were working with Remote, but that stopped working when I went to 1.32.3.

Two or three problems I've not yet resolved.

1) When I go to the live view I see no video. Typically, the log contains something like

Code: Select all

socket_bind( /tmp/zm/zms-216172w.sock ) failed: No such file or directory
I can't see why it's not being created. zmc and zma are running, but zms isn't.

2) When I go to the zone definition window, again I see no picture, but this time there's nothing obvioous in the log.

3) When I look at an event by clicking on the "Max score" number I can see trigger frames, but if I use next or previous links and get to a frame which did not trigger I see a log something like

Can't create frame analyse images from video because there is no video file for this event at /var/cache/zoneminder/events/1/2019-04-24/33/33-video.mp4
but if I go to the view via the Frames number and pick a non-alarmed frame to start from I can go all the way through, and the frame displayed is either the capture.jpg or the analyze.jpg as appropriate.

Any hints as to what I've not got set up correctly?
Rick Hewett
lazyleopard

Re: Capture frames and live video - Debian stretch

Post by lazyleopard »

I should note that the "because there is no video file" message isn't correct. The file does exist:

-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 1320278 Apr 24 08:45 /var/cache/zoneminder/events/1/2019-04-24/33/33-video.mp4
Presumably the message is being triggered for some other reason. As far as I can tell, permissions are fine, though.
Rick Hewett
mikb

Post by mikb »

If the file exists, but parts of ZM think it doesn't exist, did you get caught out by the default storage options, which have changed over ZoneMinder versions?

Have a search on the forum for the phrase "deep storage" -- it varies the way the file path is created (the old system was :- "Camera/YY/MM/DD/HH/MM/SS/Frame-capture.jpg" which is "deep"

The /var/cache/ ... file path you just posted isn't "deep" -- the date is all-in-one for a start.
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

I found and fixed the "Deep Storage" issue quite early on. The default now seems to be "Medium", which uses the date-in-the-middle file path shown in the message. It's definitely looking for frame images in the right place, as it successfully dsplays some of them, but sometimes it doesn't do the "this frame is a zero-score one, so I need *_capture.jpg rather than *_analyze.jpg" check, or does it but gets the wrong answer, and tries to get _analyze.jpg when it doesn't exist. The weird bit is that going to look atthe event images one way works while going another doesn't, even though the image display window appears to be the same.

I've tracked down the zms-related problems (items 1 and 2 in my post up the top) to a slight mis-configuration in Apache. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Rick Hewett
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

There is consistency in the stepping-through-frames issue. If you start with a plain zero-score frame then the frame-changing buttons always take you to the plain _capture.jpg image for the next frame. If, however, you start from an alarm frame (with zone changes outlined) then it only shows _analyze.jpg images, so zero-score frames (which lack such images) fail to display, and give an error.

If you have a video file (ending in _video.mp4) then you get the message I posted earlier. If you've turned off video storage of events then instead you get something like

Can't create frame analyse images from video because there is no video file for this event at /var/cache/zoneminder/events/2/2019-04-24/48/
I don't have a particular problem with the zero-score start frame leading only to plain _capture.jpg frames, but it would be nice if the non-zero-score start frames dropped back to the _capture.jpg if no _analyze.jpg existed. As far as I can tell from burrowing through code, that's what's intended to happen.