ZM v 1.32.0 Trashed After Upgrading to Ubuntu v 18.04

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
sgharp

ZM v 1.32.0 Trashed After Upgrading to Ubuntu v 18.04

Post by sgharp »

I had a working zoneminder v1.32.0 system until I upgrade my host server from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 using do-release-upgrade. The upgrade of the server seemed to go fine but now zoneminder won't display anything other than the main, console, page. I can't access Options, Log, or any of my camera setting pages; the pages just display menu options but no data. Also, the menus displayed don't respond to mouse clicks. Apache logs something similar to a 404 saying "Can't find variable: submitTab".

I have one of my cameras configured for Mocord and it's still recording events although I can't view them.

Again, this system worked fine prior to the OS upgrade so I don't think the issue is with the ZM settings. I've check config files under /etc for Apache, ZM and MySQL and none of the files were modified during the upgrade. BTW, all of my other webpages which are hosted on this server are working fine just as before the OS upgrade.

Ideas? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks....
bbunge

Re: ZM v 1.32.0 Trashed After Upgrading to Ubuntu v 18.04

Post by bbunge »

You likely need to switch from PHP7.0 to PHP7.2. See the WIKI for some guidance.
sgharp

Post by sgharp »

bbunge wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 am You likely need to switch from PHP7.0 to PHP7.2. See the WIKI for some guidance.
Changing from php 7.0 to 7.2 had no effect. I found that some zoneminder pages are displaying (with either php version) only not displaying correctly. For instance, on the options pages, you have to scroll down well past the menu (displayed on the left) to see any data. The interface display seems to be the main problem now. I reinstalled zoneminder from the iconnor repository and that fixed some things. I can see events now but the web interface is still severely screwed up.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Force a reinstall of Zoneminder. As I remember there were some differences between the zm versions.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

It is possible that it has overwritten Your 1.32.0 with 1.30. Or some mixture thereof.

The upgrade will have also disabled the ppa. So you will need to re-enable it.

I highly recommend upgrading to 1.32.2. We fixed a lot of things.
sgharp

Post by sgharp »

iconnor wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:43 pm It is possible that it has overwritten Your 1.32.0 with 1.30. Or some mixture thereof.

The upgrade will have also disabled the ppa. So you will need to re-enable it.

I highly recommend upgrading to 1.32.2. We fixed a lot of things.
I did upgrade using the iconnor repository. I'm now on 1.32.2 and the interface is still screwed up. I've tried it with both Safari and Chrome and get the same results; pages just don't display properly. I wondering if the skin (classic which is nothing like the old interface) is corrupted. I'm going to download the source and see if the skin is different. Apparently, there are no other skins available. Is this true?
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

to clarify...you had ZM version 1.32.0 running well on an Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial OS
you then upgraded the OS from Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial to a Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic
afterwards the installation of ZM 1.32.0 began to have web console GUI problems
you then upgraded ZM 1.32.0 to ZM 1.32.2 but the problems with the console continued
Also the PHP 7.0 was upgraded to PHP 7.2 and the problems continued.

to double check....
the zoneminder.conf is enabled and the symlink is present?
is there a symlink or a working alias for /var/cache/zoneminder/cache ->/usr/share/zoneminder/www/cache?

and of course a restart of the LAMP (Apache & mysql)?

is this the current status? can you share a screenshot of what the web console looks like?
sgharp

Post by sgharp »

rockedge wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:34 am to clarify...you had ZM version 1.32.0 running well on an Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial OS
you then upgraded the OS from Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial to a Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic
afterwards the installation of ZM 1.32.0 began to have web console GUI problems
you then upgraded ZM 1.32.0 to ZM 1.32.2 but the problems with the console continued
Also the PHP 7.0 was upgraded to PHP 7.2 and the problems continued.
You are correct. This is the chain of events.
to double check....
the zoneminder.conf is enabled and the symlink is present?
is there a symlink or a working alias for /var/cache/zoneminder/cache ->/usr/share/zoneminder/www/cache?

and of course a restart of the LAMP (Apache & mysql)?
You nailed it! I was missing the symlink to cache. I added this symlink, changed ownership to www-data and restarted Apache & MySQL. BTW, I had to restart MySQL first and then Apache or else ZoneMinder couldn't connect even though MySQL was operational.

Thanks very much for your help. I plan to name my next 7 kids after you. :D

The only problem remaining is that the button in the top right corner of the screen says "STOPPED" even when ZoneMinder is running.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

very nice. but...
The only problem remaining is that the button in the top right corner of the screen says "STOPPED" even when ZoneMinder is running.
and this :
I had to restart MySQL first and then Apache or else ZoneMinder couldn't connect even though MySQL was operational.
seem to indicate something more is slightly off. I have seen this before in my experimentation but not sure what it was.
check the permissions - ownership for /var/cache/zoneminder, /etc/zm and /usr/share/zoneminder belong to www-data...
does the Stopped button open a popup window with the run states, start, restart and stop?
have you run the command?

Code: Select all

zmupdate.pl -f
sgharp

Post by sgharp »

I had to restart MySQL first and then Apache or else ZoneMinder couldn't connect even though MySQL was operational.

seem to indicate something more is slightly off. I have seen this before in my experimentation but not sure what it was.
check the permissions - ownership for /var/cache/zoneminder, /etc/zm and /usr/share/zoneminder belong to www-data...
does the Stopped button open a popup window with the run states, start, restart and stop?
have you run the command?

Code: Select all

zmupdate.pl -f
I checked ownerships on the directories you mentioned and set them all to www-data; most already were. I also ran the zmupdate.pl -f command.

The Stopped button popup only shows 'Start' and 'default'.

Attachments
Stopped Button Pop-Up
Stopped Button Pop-Up
popup.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Pedulla

Post by Pedulla »

I have the same state, but arrived at it differently. Maybe someone will recognize the similarities and figure it out.
Screenshot at 2018-11-11 17-17-05.png
Screenshot at 2018-11-11 17-17-05.png (89.04 KiB) Viewed 7525 times

I started fresh install of UB18.04 server.
used tasksel to install LAMP
used this script https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way to install zm.
attached my remote storage
fired up the system and all looks right with the world (although I did not add any monitors).
Then I shut down ZM
Imported the backup 1.30.4 database
reinstalled zm with --reinstall (apt-get install --reinstall zoneminder), which upgraded the database.
after a brief period of zmaudit reconciling the event store and the database, ZM runs starts and systemctl agrees, but the above screen shot does not agree.

I've checked the above mentioned ownership, there was an issue in /etc/zm; fixed now but that was not it.

What I did noticed is there are no simlinks between /usr/share/zoneminder/www/... and /var/cache/zoneminder/... as I see on my 1.30.4 systems: From /usr/share/zoneminder/www/
events -> /var/cache/zoneminder/events/
images -> /var/cache/zoneminder/images/
temp -> /var/cache/zoneminder/temp/
Are the above simlinks needed in 1.32.2? (Dumb question, just read /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/README.Debian )
What "should" set them up? (Blind leading the blind)
Any other ideas on why the STOPPED status?

BTW, I have another system I upgraded in the same manner and works as expected, the only difference is the the storage is local vs nfs on this system.
mattspc

Post by mattspc »

Same issue with 18.x

ZM seems to work fine but the status shows as stopped in the web interface. zmpkg.pl status reports running

user@zoneminder:/etc/init.d$ sudo zmpkg.pl status
12/29/2018 21:51:56.022492 zmpkg[3104].INF [main:57] [Command: status]
12/29/2018 21:51:56.022564 zmpkg[3104].INF [main:305] [Sanity checking States table...]
12/29/2018 21:51:56.023022 zmpkg[3104].INF [main:97] [Command: status]
running
herrjon

Post by herrjon »

Same issue with v1.32.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 server after upgrade.

Zoneminder appears to be working but indicator shows "stopped" with ony "start" and "default" as entries when clicked on.

Ideas?

Solutions?
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

Nothing I do seems to make the button on the web interface show anything other than "STOPPED" (using Debian stretch).
(There are other issues, too...)
Rick Hewett
gknordli

Post by gknordli »

I am experiencing the same issue with the stoppped gui interface.

On Ubuntu 18.04.

sudo -u www-data zmdc.pl check
running