H265 workaround

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
evolotion

H265 workaround

Post by evolotion »

First off thanks to everyone who contributes to zoneminder, upgrade to 1.32 went smooth as silk.

I have recently bought a new camera for my system and it does h265, so thought i'd try it out, the bandwith saving is superb.

Passthro (storageareas) works fine

normal operation with modect works fine. both appear in previews on montage etc, and movement is detected.

Basically zoneminder seems to work absolutely fine.

Problem is the browser, I can play back video recorded events non-passthrough, as I presume thats the stuff zoneminder has already transcoded to jpg's but I cannot play back video from passthough, I realize this is a browser fault (am on linux and AFAIK no browsers support h.265)

IS there any way atall to have zoneminder transcode playback requests on the fly? I realize this is likely a big ask, but if its straightforward it would be a handy feature as the h.265 streams take up a lot less bandwith and storage (I dump the big streams to disk passthro and analyze a much lower resolution stream for movement). The reason I ask is I found some chat about just this on github

https://github.com/ZoneMinder/zoneminder/issues/1973

implied this has already been done but I cannot seem to make it work?

cheers,
denis.
iconnor

Re: H265 workaround

Post by iconnor »

I am working on this, but paid work has caused me to put it on backburner.
evolotion

Post by evolotion »

no worries, its certinly not a big deal, all works fine on h.264 and if any linux browsers get h.265 support itll be a moot point. Appreciate the reply.
AveryFreeman

Post by AveryFreeman »

Any progress on h.265?

I'm trying ZM for the first time and would love to finally be able to use my cameras' h.265 - Xprotect Essentials+, which I've been using, is crippled AF.

Thanks!
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Master will record h265 just fine and will play it back for you using mjpeg if your browser doesn't support h265