How can i divide recordings in 10 minutes with MODETEC

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
juanmoura

How can i divide recordings in 10 minutes with MODETEC

Post by juanmoura »

If I use in RECORD mode the system breaks the recording every 10 minutes, but if I leave in MODETEC mode it does not break, so I end up owning files for hours and hours. Is there any way to also split in 10 minutes?

For example:
Recognized movement and activated alarm, began to record, gave 10 minutes to create a new event and continue, this if continue moving and activate the alarm.
bbunge

Re: How can i divide recordings in 10 minutes with MODETEC

Post by bbunge »

Modect should only record as long as motion is detected. If you get endless recordings on modect something is wrong with your settings. Mocord records in the 10 min segments and also flags motion.
juanmoura

Post by juanmoura »

I set the monitor to be in MODECT and very sensitive, in a way that changes in any corner of the image activates the alarm. But what happens is that the camera is in a place of constant movement, such that from 12h to 22h the movement is constant. I'm trying to get myself to detect motion stop to prevent the files from being too long, then it returns to detect motion, breaking the files the same way it breaks with RECORD
juanmoura

Post by juanmoura »

I'm using all the monitors with MODECT and I left well regulated to record only the movement, the problem is that in fact there is constant movement. I've already changed EVENT_CLOSE_MODE to time, but it does not stop, it continues to save.
I'm looking for a way to split the files, so the event face has at most the amount that I inserted in Section length.

knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Please refer to the help text that describes EVENT_CLOSE_MODE. It does not apply to modect. So the answer to the question asked in the title is, you can't divide recordings into 10 minute segments using modect. That is what mocord is for.

Is the constant motion something you want to record? If it isn't, why not adjust your settings, like bbunge said, to exclude the unwanted motion?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
juanmoura

Post by juanmoura »

I think I could not explain my problem correctly. I'll try to make it easier to understand. The camera is positioned at the entrance of a restaurant, during the hours when the restaurant is open the movement is constant, I left well regulated for any movement it captures and in fact this is correct, if there is no one in the place it does not actually record. In relation to the recording, what happens is that in fact there is constant movement, but it is not desired that an event has more than 30 minutes, the case is that if it initiates the movement at 11AM and to have movement at 21PM, in time to perform a backup will be huge in both duration and size. It becomes unfeasible to regulate movement if the system does not limit a maximum duration per event. It would be ideal if they implemented this if there is no resource in the system, since for continuous events we were able to break in a defined amount, that same count could also be used for movement, avoiding huge files.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Use run states to record on modect when the restaurant is closed, or otherwise expected to not be busy.

Then schedule a different run state, which will put the camera into record or mocord during the busy times.

Start here to learn about run states:
http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... arted.html

Then follow the links to the FAQ that show you how to schedule run states via cron.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
juanmoura

Post by juanmoura »

knight-of-ni wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm Use run states to record on modect when the restaurant is closed, or otherwise expected to not be busy.

Then schedule a different run state, which will put the camera into record or mocord during the busy times.

Start here to learn about run states:
http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... arted.html

Then follow the links to the FAQ that show you how to schedule run states via cron.
I was already using it like that, from 11AM to 22PM it is recording as RECORD and from 22PM to 11AM it is like MODECT.
However, to get it done the way I mentioned, leaving all the monitors as MODECT, I put it in the CRON every 1 hour to run the STATE that is already MODECT, this way it stops and restarts the detection. It's an arrangement, but it's functional. What I was looking for is a feature that already exists in all NVRs and DVRs, which is to create a maximum limit per event. Imagine with me, shoot the 11AM recording, and only for the 20PM movement, but the 19PM gave a problem in the power grid and rebooted the computer, or the external HD that was recording gave some problem and had to be turned off and on? All the recording is lost. What is the sense of the RECORD option having a limit of 10 minutes to avoid long files and MODECT not? I believe that this would be something for the development think. Here in Brazil, all proprietary software sets this limit.
Here we use 9 servers with ZM, average of 40 cameras per server, always using 1 internal hb of 1 tb and 2 hds external of 6 tb and we monitor them by Zabbix, when it records 1 single event continuously for hours I / O of hard disks goes up a lot. I'm trying not to lose write capacity and avoid damaging the disks. By the time I solved with the adaptation inserted in the cron to reactivate the state every 1 hour, but the serial ideal that the system even avoided that it happened.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

First, welcome to open source software, where there is no shortage of users who love to tell us what the developers should be working on, for free, on their own time, out the sheer goodness of their hearts. However, there is a very real shortage of people willing to do the actual work. You can make all the arguments you want to add feature X, but it will only get you ignored if that is all you do. If you are serious about your feature request then the two best ways to accomplish your goal are: pay someone to do the work or do the work yourself by creating a pull request.

I've been working in the industry as a systems engineer for 16 years and have certifications in many of the big name commercial software: milestone, pelco, lenel, exacqvision, avigilon to name a few. None of them have the feature you are requesting. Not one. If the proprietary software you are familiar with has the feature you want, then nothing is stopping you from using it. ZoneMinder is free. Those others are not.

If you choose to continue to use ZoneMinder, the best solution I have for you has already been stated.
From 11-22hrs set the mode to MOCORD. MOCORD will work better for you in your case than RECORD. Set the section length to a value that works for you, and leave EVENT_CLOSE_MODE set to Time. Use cron to set the mode to MODECT outside that time if you'd rather not have lots of empty recordings with no motion.

Mocord will chop the video up into segments and also flag the video for motion. This meets the criteria you originally stated.

There might also be some out-of-box type of solutions I am not thinking of at the moment, such as external sensor (pir, audio, or something else) that could help zoneminder separate wanted motion from unwanted motion, if there even is such a thing in your case. Something like this would also help break up the video into smaller segments.

Finally, I'm not going to continue this conversation with you if you continue to focus on what you want zoneminder to be, rather than what zoneminder can do right now. I will spend my time helping someone else if the questions are not focused on "How do I...." rather than "Why can't it do....".