Adjusting Filter resends every event

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
wh33lz

Adjusting Filter resends every event

Post by wh33lz »

Every time I save a filter ZM resends every stored event over email. This can be 100's of emails. How do you avoid this?
For example...say I want to change a parameter like time. I then Save the filter, and it goes back months of events and resends any matches, flooding my mail service.
rockedge

Re: Adjusting Filter resends every event

Post by rockedge »

this is what works for me....sends just one email for the current event.....how are you saving the filter that is starting to run?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (36.46 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
wh33lz

Post by wh33lz »

I have it set to send 1 event also.
Usually I just hit the Save button, but I have tried them all.
Submit, then Save...or just Save

I end up having to delete all stored events, as it will resend emails from months earlier.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

have you tried deleting the original filter and creating a new instance of the filter? Save then with a name, Submit will run the filter without the action assigned to it.....Execute will manually run the filter.
wh33lz

Post by wh33lz »

I did not delete the filter, but edited it by removing time windows, saved and restarted service.
That seemed to fix it.

So...the proper method when adjusting an existing filter, is to first Save, then Submit?
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

the method you used works also. Select the filter to edit, make the changes, make sure the correct filter Name is in place, then save. A ZM is a good habit but I think the filter edit and save may not require a restart to function. Although the ZM restart is good practice.

Submit button will run the filter and show the events that filter selected without actually executing the action (i.e. send email, delete event..)
Execute button will run the filter, select the events according to the filter and run the action selected. This is a manual way to run a filter that is not in a "run in the background" mode.

For more detail see the ZM manual HERE
Alec

Post by Alec »

I had basically this same problem starting with 1.31.28. If I ran the filter, I would get the expected result set. If I executed the filter with "Message details . . ." checked, I would get the expected result set listed in the browser, but ZM would send a message for every event in the database. The events were flagged as sent in the database, the SQL executed by the filter seemed to be correct, and I could not figure out how all the e-mails were being generated by the filter process . . .

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26938

I gave up and wrote my own notification script.
DFU