h.264 pass-through

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
nobodywashere

h.264 pass-through

Post by nobodywashere »

Dear ZoneMinder Community,

I use the h264 pass-through branch of ZoneMinder 1.30.1 with a TrendNet TV-IP862IC. It's working great, except for one little detail:

The audio and video are not in completely in sync (I measured 0.3s delay for the audio track). I've found the reason for this delay online:

" [...] The H.264 is not a completely "contained" compression method -- by this I mean that Audio and Video tracks are still treated as separate entities that only QuickTime can recognize integrated timing information to match each track with one another. [...]"
(Source: https://support.jwplayer.com/customer/p ... ut-of-sync)

And indeed, there is no delay with the Quick Time Player, but with Windows Media Player (classic) or the ZoneMinder web player I have this short delay.

Is there anything I can do, to have a "synced" view, when I use the web player that comes with ZoneMinder?

Thank you for your help

Best,
Patrick
nobodywashere

Re: h.264 pass-through

Post by nobodywashere »

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the feature-h264-videostorage branch. There were only some minor changes (or not, I'm not so sure :mrgreen: ) since I installed from the repository (in January). Which brachnes are you refering to?

Cheers,
Patrick
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Only got audio camera recently so let me see if I can test this, I wonder if VLC does it.
https://github.com/connortechnology/Zon ... orageareas, you can adjust the Debian build script to that repo and branch pretty easy.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
nobodywashere

Post by nobodywashere »

Hi,

It's not working with VLC and Windows Media Player classic. I also tried remuxing (I used MP4Box), which worked in some cases, but the delay was increasing overnight and now remuxing only makes it worse :-( Thanks, I will look into that repository.

Best,
Patrick
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I don't think the latest code will show any difference. in h264 video and audio tracks are given a timestamp as to when they should play. It is entirely possible that we are not converting them right. They have different time scales.

There are other issues as well. This code is experimental.

thatguy, who will be banned again shortly is referring to Shinobi, which is his zoneminder replacement. It might do what you want, but let's be clear it is NOT a ZoneMinder replacement (yet). Shinobi is a thin shell around ffmpeg, and ffmpeg is pretty good at this stuff.