Ignore offline camera(s)

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Avro125

Ignore offline camera(s)

Post by Avro125 »

I'm aware of the known issue where ZoneMinder doesn't do well with a camera that is offline. CPU usage increases, log file gets flooded, etc.

Is there a way around this? My end goal would be to have the existing exterior (outdoor) cameras along with a few interior ones. When leaving the house, I'd turn on the POE switch for the interior cameras and they'd become active. Upon returning, I'd turn the POE switch off, disabling the interior cameras.

If I were to attempt this now, ZoneMinder would 'freak out' at the loss of the camera feeds.

Any suggestions?
rockedge

Re: Ignore offline camera(s)

Post by rockedge »

This problem was fixed and will be in the next release. Although achieving your goals shouldn't be a problem. Look into changing Run States which will restart ZM clearing the /dev/shm issue.

https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/pull/1717
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Since you are referring to planned outages, then do what rockedge says and use run states. Some have even triggered their run state by the absence or presence of their mobile device on their local network... so you would not have to bother with powering on/off your poe switch.

The other thing you should do is set the value in the MAX FPS field to be the camera frame rate + 1. This is mentioned in the help text for this field. It is okay to set a value in here that is higher than the incoming frame rate, but never ever lower. Doing so prevents your cpu from overloading.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
Avro125

Post by Avro125 »

Thanks guys - good to know the fix is coming. As for run states - that's something I've yet to explore, but looks promising. I'm thinking I could change motion sensitivity to stop snow flurries lit up by IR LEDs from clogging the HDD in the winter nights.

...and changing state based on your cell phone being on the home Wi-Fi? Brilliant.