Raspberry Pi image?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
TenLeftFingers

Raspberry Pi image?

Post by TenLeftFingers »

With so many images available for Raspberry Pi, I was wondering if anyone would install Zoneminder on a vanilla Raspbian image and make an image/dd available?

I spent quite a few hours already trying to troubleshoot viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24543 but the installation complexities on the Pi seem to outweigh the benefits. I can set it up easily on Ubuntu - but this would be too heavy for the Pi I feel (although I hear the Pi 3 can run it).

Just a thought and I'd be very grateful! :)
undrwater

Re: Raspberry Pi image?

Post by undrwater »

You don't need a full ubuntu image, a server image will suffice, then follow the "easy" instructions to install.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

I don't use Debian or Ubuntu in any kind of server configuration, raspberry pi included, so I can't help you with raspbian on the pi.

I install Fedora on all my Raspberry PI's, and doing so involves writing a base image to an sd card and then booting off of it after inserting it into the pi. The base image is different depending on which pi you have, but other than that the installation isn't any different than installing on a normal pc including/especially installing zoneminder from zmrepo.
http://zmrepo.zoneminder.com
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
zamar17

Post by zamar17 »

Can you explain, why do you prefer namely Fedora (server?) for RPi?
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Because my first Linux experience was with RedHat. Ah, those were the times. It was about 1995, back when bands played real instruments, and I obtained my first copy of Redhat 6 on cdrom (we did not yet have a permanent connection to this new thing called the Internet so downloading large amounts of data was next to impossible). Of course, I had to first get a cdrom drive. Fortunately, one of my college friends gave me his 2x cdrom drive (it even had a proprietary card it had to plug into) so I was in business.

I did not know anyone who used Debian until after Ubuntu came out and gained popularity.

Roll forward to today, and while I can get around pretty well in a Debian environment, I completely hate the way they do certain things, which causes me to run back to my Redhat distros.

So there you have it. As a matter of principle, I choose to run Fedora on Raspberry Pi's.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
zamar17

Post by zamar17 »

This story reminded me Nostalghia... :D