Zoneminder 1.29.0

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
br116

Re: Zoneminder 1.29.0

Post by br116 »

Did as suggested.
New partition, brand new 14.04 LTS, installed LAMP, followed bbunge instruction with copy and paste from a terminal from
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
Got "it works" from Apache, but nothing else, no php, no ZM, no nothing. No log files.
Just giving up...
br116

Post by br116 »

Did as suggested.
New partition, brand new 14.04 LTS, installed LAMP, followed bbunge instruction with copy and paste from a terminal from
Got "it works" from Apache, but nothing else, no php, no ZM, no nothing. No log files.
Just giving up...
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

afg wrote:Actually that's not always the case. If your zonminder db is not named zm, one of the update SQL scripts will fail b/c it hard codes the database name. You can tell if this is the case if running zmupdate fails b/c it can't find the config table, after successfully running SOME of the updates.

See thread on lessons from 1.25 upgrade for how to fix.

Respectfully,
AG
I'm not sure how or why you think this statement is related to the issue the OP has described, but to answer your question as it relates to the "following the instructions" theme, you are not following the instructions if you are trying to change the name of the zoneminder database after the fact. The name of database is not hard coded. It is set at build time, just like many other variables. If for some unlikely reason you have to change the name of the database, and don't just simply want to, then what you should do is rebuild the ZoneMinder deb package to suit your tastes. In particular you need to set ZM_DB_NAME during the build. Instructions on how to do this are on our readthedocs site. https://zoneminder.readthedocs.org/en/s ... index.html
br116 wrote:Did as suggested.
Just giving up...
I'm sorry you are giving up, and I'm sure this is frustrating for you. However, statements like this are not particularly helpful in a technical support forum. Two things are certain in a forum such at this:

1) We aren't mind readers. We cannot see what you see, and simply stating something does or does not work w/o backing that up with real data is not helpful. Because you have not shown us what you did, that puts us into a guessing mode, which wastes everyone's time and frustrates everyone involved.

2) Instead, we need to see real data, copied and pasted, direct from your command prompt. Interpreting what is happening, in your own words, is not helpful. We also need to see your log files, again, copied and pasted. Not just a line or two, but a large amount. More is better. I know you made the statement "No log files", but that simply isn't true. You've demonstrated that the Apache web server is working, which means you are going to have an Apache log, and that is exactly what we need to see in order to learn what is happening.

TLDR
Maybe I'm just wasting my time by typing this, but if you find yourself back here, to increase the likeness of a better experience, backup any statements of something not working with exactly what you typed into the command prompt (your input) and the contents of any relevant logs files (the output). Asking how to do this is a valid question.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
br116

Post by br116 »

bbunge:
so here is my 1st attempt to check installation since the ZM zmdc.log and zmpkg.log log files mentioned in your document do not exist in my computer.
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ sudo service zoneminder status
[sudo] password for br116:
Can't open config file '/etc/zm/zm.conf': Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmdc.pl line 65.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmdc.pl line 65.
ZoneMinder is stopped
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

br116 wrote:bbunge:
so here is my 1st attempt to check installation since the ZM zmdc.log and zmpkg.log log files mentioned in your document do not exist in my computer.
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ sudo service zoneminder status
[sudo] password for br116:
Can't open config file '/etc/zm/zm.conf': Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 119.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmdc.pl line 65.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmdc.pl line 65.
ZoneMinder is stopped

If you would like a quick way to get Zoneminder running, consider Zoneminder on a stick, a pre-configured Lubuntu 14.04 with Zoneminder 1.29.0. See: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_14. ... _CD_or_USB
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Thank you for providing the output.

What Bill suggested is an excellent idea. We are both seeding his torrent so your download speeds should be acceptable.

If you want to continue down the troubleshooting path, please enter the following commands.

Check the file permissions of the zm.conf file:

Code: Select all

ls -lh /etc/zm/zm.conf
Verify the file system is not full:

df -lh
Verify the file system is not mounted read only:

grep ' ro ' /proc/mounts
Please copy and paste the output of these commands.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
br116

Post by br116 »

As suggested:
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ ls -lh /etc/zm/zm.conf
-rw-r----- 1 root root 1.3K Feb 4 11:42 /etc/zm/zm.conf
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ df -lh
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 7.8G 4.0K 7.8G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.9M 1.6G 1% /run
/dev/sdc1 186G 15G 162G 9% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 7.9G 8.6M 7.9G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 44K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sdd1 496M 118M 378M 24% /media/br116/LEXAR MEDIA
/dev/sdi1 466G 266G 201G 58% /media/br116/Portable Disk 500GB
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ grep ' ro ' /proc/mounts
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ ^C
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$ grep ' ro ' /proc/mounts
br116@br116-GA-MA770T-UD3P:~$
dpdjvan

Post by dpdjvan »

br116 wrote:Some progress, yeahh.
"Cannot write to content dirs('events','images'). Check that these exist and are owned by the web account user"
Still no ZM.
Anyone with a suggestion, please?
I had the same issue and found a solution without re-installing Ubuntu:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/cache/zoneminder/*
This should set your permissions so that ZoneMinder can read/write events.
zamar17

Post by zamar17 »

bbunge wrote:You need to get away from the software center and use a command prompt. Yes, there are a lot of steps to installing zoneminder and they all need to be done in a terminal or at the command prompt!
Sorry for my confusion. This guide says: "Install Basic Server (if you used the mini.iso), OpenSSH Server, and LAMP Server ". At what steps in the guide these packages are actually installed, by what commands? Pls add for clarity "Installing OpenSSH Server, LAMP Server, etc" in the comments to each corresponding command in your Guide.

Also, if changes to DB password must be followed by manual changes in Default Array (why it can't be automated?), then it should be mentioned in BOTH guides linked here.
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Your first questions relates to standard Ubuntu install procedure, not part of ZM or this guide. Seen here at 0:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VqQ7KuEE0

Entire database setup is covered in the setup guide, the Easy Way, including the username and password. Maybe a new wiki page 'Easy Way was too Easy' and we can list all the common FAQ's for installations that deviate from the guide. Note I am not saying your question is not valid but I don't think it belongs in that guide, which is made to be followed to the letter to help people on first install of zm with little to no understanding of how it works.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)