Improving performance in constant preview scenario

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
Ninjago

Improving performance in constant preview scenario

Post by Ninjago »

Hello fellow CCTV amateurs.

I am trying to use zmNinja in a Security Room / Constant Preview of all monitors, scenario.
I am obligated to store X days of constantly recorded footage, relying on Modect and Alarms is not enough.
I also need to provide constant stream of all monitors to a Security Room.

My system handles perfectly well 800x600, 6fps constant recording, but the moment I open "Montage" view in zmNinja, system gets overloaded (8core system gets 12 load) and parts of the recorded footage get dropped.

Any recommendations, how to tackle this problem?
iconnor

Re: Improving performance in constant preview scenario

Post by iconnor »

Step 1: Throw money at the developers.

I'm not sure how exactly zmNinja does the montage streaming but it is likely you could get by with a lower fps than you are capturing or perhaps a low resolution.

I recently discovered that passing width=&height= to zms doesn't actually do anything. It only understands scale= so I will have to consult with the auther of zmNinja and make sure he is aware of that.

800x600 is kindof an odd resolution for cameras, are you maybe doing some unnecessary scaling? Other than that, make sure you are using libjpeg-turbo or free up more resources. You will need to figure out exactly what is taking up the resources.
asker

Post by asker »

You are most likely not using multi-port streaming. My guess is that is the big ticket item.
There are other tips: https://zmninja.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... -my-server

zmNinja doesn't use width/height for montage. It uses scale
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
tommisgr

Post by tommisgr »

Use low bandwidth option in zmninja settings.

Every monitor will update every 10 secs or something.
i think there is an option to change that.