ZMNinja restrict mobile data

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
olbasoil

ZMNinja restrict mobile data

Post by olbasoil »

I sometimes forget to close ZMNinja. That's no great problem when on wi-fi, but when using mobile data it can burn through my allowance within an couple of hours. I have a general mobile data warning on the phone, but that's often too late. is there anything I can do to set a specific limit for ZMNinja when using mobile data? Or perhaps a timeout for ZMNinja?
asker

Re: ZMNinja restrict mobile data

Post by asker »

That should not happen at all. zmNinja exits when you move it to background.
That being said, you can alway enable "restrict background app data" in the regular android settings for apps.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
olbasoil

Post by olbasoil »

I don't really understand what you mean by 'background'. If I am running ZMNinja, then instead of closing it I start another app, it keeps consuming data. Then if I leave home it continues to consume mobile data.
If I press the menu button, it is one of the running apps. I can then close it (if I remember).

Are these apps 'in the background'? If so ZMNinja is certainly using large amounts of mobile data.
Is there a way I can avoid this, except for the obvious one being 'close it when not using'?

Apologies if this is a basic Android question.
asker

Post by asker »

My understand is if you are running zmNinja and switch to another app, zmNinja should exit itself. The only time it does not is when you are running both zmNinja and another app together (called multi-window in android I think)

Take a look at https://support.google.com/android/answer/9458407?hl=en to see all the ways you can restrict data consumption.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs