Help setting up Zm Ninja

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
user671

Help setting up Zm Ninja

Post by user671 »

Hello, I have zone minder installed on my Linux Mint machine. I'm able to view the IP camera feed I connected to my network switch just fine on the Mint, but I don't know how to set up certificates for ssl so that I can send it to zm Ninja off my local network.
I was watching this guide on it
https://youtu.be/EdiVbw7oF4M
And everything was going nicely but the guy stopped right when he got to the point where he was gonna set up certificates for zm ninja.
I saw this thread viewtopic.php?t=25554
I followed the steps to check that Zoneminder APIs are properly set up and it looks like they are. But I don't know how to get feed off my local network.
I'd prefer to use something like OpenVPN instead of port forwarding but I need a guide or something to do that because I've never done that before. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
diyparenting

Re: Help setting up Zm Ninja

Post by diyparenting »

any OpenVPN setup would not be specific to ZoneMinder / zmninja. You would probably be better off searching for OpenVPN and your specific remote device (android, iPhone, tablet, PC, etc)…once you have a VPN established, accessing zoneminder will be the same as if you are in your home.

I will also say, that you are somewhat correct, in that utilizing the vpn will eliminated some level of risk of having port forwarding in place for your Linux machine, but....an improperly implemented VPN solution, would be more risky than an individual port to 1 device.