DDNS Remote Access for ZMNinja

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
issab581

DDNS Remote Access for ZMNinja

Post by issab581 »

hey all,

I was wondering how I could set up remote access and notifications for Zoneminder, and I discovered zmninja. I know you can use port forwarding, but I personally feel ddns would be more straightforward. Is that possible?
asker

Re: DDNS Remote Access for ZMNinja

Post by asker »

If you are the same person who emailed me, then my answer holds. You need both.

1. DDNS exists to map your home computer IP to a domain name that can be reached. Typically used when you don't have a static IP. So lets say you reserved 'ivan.duckdns.org' to map to your ISP assigned dynamic IP of 72.12.123.123. Good, now if you ping 'ivan.duckdns.org' it will ping your external IP.
(Duck DNS is a DDNS provider, there are others like dynamic dns)

2. You the install some software, either in your router (if possible) or some home computer, that periodically updates the DDNS provider with your ISP assigned dynamic IP so that the mapping is kept current.

3. ZoneMinder is running inside your home network. Lets say an internal IP of 192.168.1.100

You need to tell your router that if it gets traffic at "72.12.123.123, port 80" it should forward that traffic to 192.168.1.100 (lets assume you configured Apache to use port 80 for ZM). If it did not do that, DDNS or not, how will your ZoneMinder server get the traffic? That is where you need port forwarding in your router.

This is the simplest option. The downside is you need to expose ZM to the internet. There are more complex options like setting up VPNs etc. but you may not want to delve into all of that.

You don't need anything special for zmNinja. Once you do this, it will start working.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
issab581

Post by issab581 »

Hey,
Thanks btw. I assigned port 80 to the computer running zoneminder.
cctv.PNG
cctv.PNG (14.17 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
I also got a ddns.

When I enter the ddns address into ZMNinja, how would I enter it into the wizard? Would I need https://ivan.duckdns.org(not the actual ddns) or would I need to add some suffix at the end?
asker

Post by asker »

Depends. How do you access ZM from the internet? Is it https://ivan.duckdns.org or https://ivan.duckdns.org/zm ? The latter is more common. Whatever you use to access ZM from a regular browser using the DDNS url is what you need for zmNinja
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs