Does not always detect motion

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
veehexx

Does not always detect motion

Post by veehexx »

i'm running the FC23 zmrepo version of zoneminder 1.28.1, with a foscam FI9803EP camera connected via ffmpeg method & using modect to record.

sometimes, ZM does not record motion.
for example, i have front of house parking. any activity at the front of the house involves walking past my car.
This morning i left for the daily dog walk which ZM sucessfully recorded the few seconds before the alarm and the full motion of walking past the car and out of sight (about 1.5 car length distance).
i return home and it records that occurrence too. Both of these are when the IR LED's are on the camera

I get ready for work, jump in car and leave. The IR LED's are not on at this time. ZM has not recorded me getting in the car, only the car leaving.

I'm not sure if the IR LED's have any bearing on the problem as it has seen the car movement, but i'm struggling to get ZM to record all motion.

my current settings are as follows:
ref image blend: 6.25%
alarm ref img blend: 3.125%
img buffer size: 100
warmup frames: 1
pre-event img count: 80
post-event img count: 200
stream replay: 1000
alarm frame count: 7
knight-of-ni

Re: Does not always detect motion

Post by knight-of-ni »

Well, the first problem is you've got your alarm frame count set to 7.

You've provided very little quantitative information to go on, which means you won't get a very good, precise answer.

Generally, what you need to do is
a) read the documentation that describes how to set up motion detection.
b) manually set your motion zones to be as sensitive as possible. You want it to be too sensitive for starters.
c) Observe the recorded motion detection statistics over time and changing weather pattern. Use that information to filter out unwanted events.

You should search the forum and read the threads from others asking the exact same question.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
Pedulla

Post by Pedulla »

Start with a new monitor (camera) with the default settings in Modect. Put your hand over the lens to force an event.
Get an event recorded.
Now review the event, look at the frames, in particular the red highlighted ones. then check the stats. Track the stats of various events to change the motion detection settings in the zone setup for the given monitor (camera)
Then tweak and test, tweak and test... One event at a time.

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/How_to_setu ... _detection
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Defining_Zones
veehexx

Post by veehexx »

First time i've seen that how-to on motion detection - thanks (and yes, I've done searches and followed other guides)