One computer serving cameras to main server?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
DaAwesomeP

One computer serving cameras to main server?

Post by DaAwesomeP »

I want to have a specific setup. My main ZoneMinder machine will be Debian it will have a few cameras plugged into it. I also have an Ubuntu machine and a Windows machine with cameras on them. Is it possible to have the Ubuntu and Windows machine serve streams to the main Debian machine? I don't want to have any UI or Web access to the cameras on the Ubuntu and Windows machines. I'm fine running a service other than ZoneMinder on those machines. I effectively need those machines to act as network cameras. Is this possible?

Thanks,
DaAwesomeP
bbunge

Re: One computer serving cameras to main server?

Post by bbunge »

USB cameras on those PC's? Try to use VLC to stream camera output to zm.
DaAwesomeP

Post by DaAwesomeP »

bbunge wrote:USB cameras on those PC's? Try to use VLC to stream camera output to zm.
Thanks! I like that idea. I'll report back here after I get everything set up. Yeah, they'll be V4L compatible cameras. I like the VLC idea. I could make that into a startup script. One camera per port.
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

There are several ways, but what you do is set that machine up to capture video from each camera and stream it on a chosen URI/port.

VLC is one way, mjpg-streamer is another, I think also ffmpeg can be used.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I use Zoneminder on several machines that a central machine collects the camera streams from. So Zoneminder to Zoneminder, with the central machine not actually connected to any camera itself. I use the path like /cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=jpeg&monitor=1&scale=100&maxfps=5&buffer=1000&connkey=927436&rand=1442852046 with the remote host the url to the zoneminder machine "zoneminder.example.org" or subnet IP.