When Adding Or Modifying A Zone There Is No Zone Image

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
alteredstate

When Adding Or Modifying A Zone There Is No Zone Image

Post by alteredstate »

Hello Everyone,

When I login to my ZoneMinder Console and either add a zone or modify an existing zone, no zone image is shown. However, I able to view the live stream if I click on the corresponding monitor name on the ZoneMinder Console main page. The ZoneMinder Console log shows: "2015-05-28 10:41:38.078461 zmu 22395 ERR Can't open Zones2.jpg: Permission denied zm_image.cpp". I'm guessing this must be a permissions issue but not quite sure where to begin.

Prior to noticing this issue I had setup the ZoneMinder Console to only be accessed via HTTPS as well as a login password for the admin user. I had also updated Ubuntu 14.10 to 15.04 which automatically updates MySQL 5.5 to 5.6. The upgrade initially broke the ZoneMinder installation mainly because the Ubuntu PPA (ppa:iconnor/zoneminder), which I was using with Ubuntu 14.10, does not contain a package for Ubuntu 15.04. I manually downloaded the ZoneMinder package from that PPA, installed it and everything was back up and running. Would anyone be able to tell me how I fix this issue?

My setup:

ZoneMinder: v1.28.1
Ubuntu: 15.04
Kernel: 3.19.0-18-generic
Apache: 2.4.10
MySQL: 5.6
iitywygms

Re: When Adding Or Modifying A Zone There Is No Zone Image

Post by iitywygms »

I had this issue, or at least close to it a while back.
I "fixed" it with kind of a hack.

Take a look and see if it helps you.
It would be great to know why I had to do what I did.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 675#p85675
alteredstate

Re: When Adding Or Modifying A Zone There Is No Zone Image

Post by alteredstate »

iitywygms wrote:I had this issue, or at least close to it a while back.
I "fixed" it with kind of a hack.

Take a look and see if it helps you.
It would be great to know why I had to do what I did.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 675#p85675
Thank you very much for the information! Following the link you provided, I was able to solve this issue. In my case, I already had the necessary directories and: /usr/share/zoneminder/images was symbolically linked to: /var/cache/zoneminder/images. However, upon checking the permissions in the /var/cache/zoneminder all the directories had permissions: www-data:www-data (which I believe is Apache) except: /var/cache/zoneminder/images which had permissions: root:root. I changed the permission of that directory to: www-data:www-data in order to match the other directories and voilà, problem solved! I'm also wondering what might have caused this? Everything was working perfectly on my previous setup which was a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.10 and ZoneMinder v1.28.1 from the PPA, so my only theory is that something happened during the Ubuntu 15.04 update.