Cannot create zm.mmap.1 ; zmc not running

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
Patrick-2012

Cannot create zm.mmap.1 ; zmc not running

Post by Patrick-2012 »

I built a Fedora 20 image (VM based) in order to test a new install of 1.28. I need to update two 1.24.2 servers and am going total new install, rather than upgrade (will keep the old archives elsewhere). I used the helpful packages from zmrepo at connortechnology, specifically zoneminder-1.28.0-3 . I followed instructions to a tee and everything went smooth.

Issue: zoneminder is unable to start zmc capture, and the logs all point to (repeats every few seconds when zmc tries to start):

Code: Select all

Started Video security and surveillance system.
INF [Scanning for events]
INF [Watchdog starting]
INF [Watchdog pausing for 30 seconds]
INF [Starting pending process, zmc -m 1]
INF ['zmc -m 1' starting at 14/12/31 07:33:54, pid = 3108]
INF ['zmc -m 1' started at 14/12/31 07:33:54]
ERR ['zmc -m 1' exited abnormally, exit status 127]
ERR [Memory map file '/dev/shm/zm.mmap.1' does not exist.  zmc might not be running.]
ERR [Memory map file '/dev/shm/zm.mmap.1' does not exist. zmc might not be running.] seems to be the operative issue, to me.

SElinux is disabled (verified), I've already adjusted kernel.shmmax to 512MB. I chose one AXIS camera to test and it is up and running (I can view it direct from the VM in a web browser) and I am using the exact same configuration info that works in my 1.24.2 server, where that camera is being monitored and recorded.

I've tried what I can and I am stumped. I have even nuked the whole VM image and created a new one (with fresh install) to be sure my previous attempts at fixing it didn't cause problems. New VM - same problem.

As a hint that might help, I manually created a zero-loaded zm.mmap.1 file (dd'd zeros into it) and zmwatch actually saw it and complained it was not the right size. When I did a restart of zoneminder, the file was removed. So I know ZM is seeing /dev/shm and can at least read/delete (which implies write).

Any ideas where to look next? Any idea why zmc is failing on start? Also, anyone have a handy list of exit codes for the various processes, just in case exit code 127 means something I cannot discover without chasing through source?

Thanks in advance.
Patrick-2012

Re: Cannot create zm.mmap.1 ; zmc not running

Post by Patrick-2012 »

So I went ahead and tried 1.27.0 on the same hosts. No joy.

Followed all guidance explicitly, and I am not a newb with ZM.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Actually the operative line is

ERR ['zmc -m 1' exited abnormally, exit status 127]

check the zmc logs to find out why zmc crashed.
Patrick-2012

Post by Patrick-2012 »

Tks.

I used your repo to build a CentOS 6 version and it worked out of the box.

I am not a fan of leaving things undone, so I will chase the Fedora issue. Which logs do you want me to try?

Understand that I will dig if I don't see anything from you, but "check the zmc logs" is somewhat nebulous to me. Although I have deployed ZM a few times, the docs are kinda scarce on some of the basics (logs locations, process descriptions, etc.). I suspect they are out there if I really look hard, but...

FWIW, I will gladly add to/update any docs/wikis if it helps. I don't gripe unless I am willing to help fix.

Tks Again.
Angelo48

Post by Angelo48 »

Hi Patrick-2012,

Have you solved your problem zmc? because I just installed zoneminder on fedora 23, and I have exactly the same problem you describe in this post, and I can not find a solution.
Best Regard.

Angelo