Email Notifications are failing

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
ndavis53

Email Notifications are failing

Post by ndavis53 »

I am having some trouble getting ZoneMinder to send email notifications. I have tried using Nullmailer, Postfix, and SSMTP and am able to send a test email to myself from my Ubuntu 12.0.4 server. ZoneMinder is configured to send from localhost and all the emails are input correctly. In the logs I can see the following error message. "Can't send email: SMTP Failed to connect to mail server: Connection refused at /usr/bin/zmfilter.pl line 1009." I opened up that file and went to that line, but have no idea why it fails or what needs to be changed. I can provide any additional info and or log
carcachute

Re: Email Notifications are failing

Post by carcachute »

I had trouble getting e-mail to send properly, but here is what finally worked for me on an Ubuntu 14.04 system. I use ZM 1.27.99 and had to check "Use a newer Perl method to send emails." I also installed nullmailer and configured it by editing /etc/nullmailer/remotes and put my ISP's SMTP server in there. Hope this helps you.
ndavis53

Post by ndavis53 »

Built a new 14.04 system and installed ZM 1.27.99. Checked use new perl method to send emails and it continues to fail with the same error. Nullmailer is configured correctly as I can send an email from the Ubuntu box. There's either a breakdown between ZM and Nullmailer or I've got something configured incorrectly in the ZM Email section. I am using Gmail's smtp relay for my notifications.
ndavis53

Post by ndavis53 »

I unchecked the new perl method for sending messages and the ZM logs now say that the email notifications are being sent. Now the problem is that it's not actually sending them, they are not going out. I logged into the account that is sending out the messages, but nothing is in the Sent box.
carcachute

Post by carcachute »

ndavis53 wrote:I unchecked the new perl method for sending messages and the ZM logs now say that the email notifications are being sent. Now the problem is that it's not actually sending them, they are not going out. I logged into the account that is sending out the messages, but nothing is in the Sent box.
Are there any messages in the nullmailer queue? Type "mailq" to see. This would tell you whether ZM is getting them to nullmailer correctly.

You could also try setting nullmailer to use your ISP's SMTP server instead of gmail's.
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Its been a while since I messed with emailing from ZM so I don't remember if it uses 'mail' to send email but you might want to make sure that you have the 'mailutils' package installed.
ses1984

Post by ses1984 »

I'm not sure if this will help, but I was also having problems with zmfilter and email notifications.

Whenever I checked OPT_EMAIL or OPT_MESSAGE in Options > EMail, zmfilter would try to start and then immediately exit "abnormally, exit status 9".

It seems I was missing a perl module that zmfilter depended on, but was not properly linked up in the debian package. I needed to do this:
apt-get install libmime-tools-perl
And then it worked fine.

I don't think that's exactly the same problem you're having: it seems like your zmfilter was running but could not authenticate.