zm_monitor.h / buffer

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
Heimo

zm_monitor.h / buffer

Post by Heimo »

Hi All,

can anybody help me and tell me where I can find this file? "zm_monitor.h"

I got a lot of "buffer Overflow" and it does not help to increase "shmmax". Any other idea? I am using ubuntu Server 12.04.4
Does anybody know a paper for optimizing zoneminder?

Thanks in advance

Heimo
grautvornix

Re: zm_monitor.h / buffer

Post by grautvornix »

zm_monitor.h is part of the source package if you build the software by yourself.
In the FAQ Chpt. 2:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... in_mind.29

you can find lots of hints for managing system.load I personally reduced the max. FPS to 2 per cam,
as my load was horribly high with the default of 25 FPS.
No Clue about your bufferoverflow, but this is treated as well in the FAQ, but probably you have
read this already. So I cannot help here.

Marc
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

grautvornix wrote:zm_monitor.h is part of the source package if you build the software by yourself.
In the FAQ Chpt. 2:

you can find lots of hints for managing system.load I personally reduced the max. FPS to 2 per cam,
No Clue about your bufferoverflow, but this is treated as well in the FAQ, but probably you have

Marc
Hi Marc,

thank you very much, I will try.

What I have forgotten to write is, that it is only on the foscam with rtsp.

Kind regards.

Heimo
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

grautvornix wrote:zm_monitor.h is part of the source package if you build the software by yourself.
In the FAQ Chpt. 2:

Marc
25FPS is too high for most systems unless its low resolution but you shouldn't need to go down to 2 unless the system is just lacking grunt. On an i7 950 system with 6 HD IP cams (using ffmpeg) I run them at 1280x720 at 10fps each and the load is seldom over 1. Disabling "CREATE_ANALYSIS_IMAGES" and using one of the pre-defined "fast" zone presets can go a long way. Libjpeg-turbo also can provide a large performance boost. Reducing the cameras bit rate to 2048 helps a lot too. Also, if you are limiting the fps, do it on the camera and not in ZM. The min/max fps setting in ZM is intended for analog cams on a capture card. Using that option with IP cams will cause issues.
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Heimo wrote:Hi All,

I got a lot of "buffer Overflow" and it does not help to increase "shmmax". Any other idea? I am using ubuntu Server 12.04.4

Thanks in advance

Heimo
What are you using for settings in the 'Buffers' tab for the sources? For 720p cams I normally run 200 for 'image buffer size' with good results. If you continue to have issues consider moving to a memory mapped build of ZM and ditch using shared memory. I never had good results with shared memory builds and multiple HD cams even on systems with a ton of RAM.
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

linuxsense wrote:
Heimo wrote:Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Heimo
What are you using for settings in the 'Buffers' tab for the sources? For 720p cams I normally run 200 for 'image buffer size' with good results. If you continue to have issues consider moving to a memory mapped build of ZM and ditch using shared memory. I never had good results with shared memory builds and multiple HD cams even on systems with a ton of RAM.

Hi,

now I have changed the cams to VGA 10fps via RTSP and it works fine since 2 days. The Quality is ok and zoneminder works also fine with it. I also changed the "Stream Replay Image Buffer" to 200, lets see.

Thanks a lot to all.

Kind regards.

Heimo
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Heimo wrote:
Hi,

now I have changed the cams to VGA 10fps via RTSP and it works fine since 2 days. The Quality is ok and zoneminder works also fine with it. I also changed the "Stream Replay Image Buffer" to 200, lets see.

Thanks a lot to all.

Kind regards.

Heimo
Glad its working better. Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your zoneminder rig?
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

linuxsense wrote:
Heimo wrote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot to all.

Kind regards.

Heimo
Glad its working better. Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your zoneminder rig?

What do you mean with rig?
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Server specs.
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

linuxsense wrote:Server specs.
It is a Lenovo Workstation, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB HD